Wish I hadn't started!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
p.penn

Wish I hadn't started!

Post by p.penn »

As some of you may know, I bought a couple of paint tester pots a couple of days back, and splodged them all over my lounge walls, then painted half of the chimney breast with the remains of the chosen one, leaving me a little beyond the point of no return!

Anyway, I decided today to tackle it in small steps. I really need to do the ceiling and woodwork too, as that hasn't been done for about 17 years yike* Mind you, I will miss the beer splatters on the ceiling which appeared after I had been away fro a week, and the powder burn where my eldest son threw an exploding thing at it, just after it was newly painted }hairout{ So as I had a spare 45 mins before work this evening, washing the ceiling and bit above the picture rail seemed a very good place to start.

What a mistake! I could cry! It now looks like the room is seriously fire damaged, as the smoke from the fire, which before had just darkened bits slightly, is now smeared absolutely everywhere. I am hoping paint will cover it as it is so much worse than before i started to clean it.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Wish I hadn't started!

Post by mrs boodles »

Helen, might sound a bit silly but you seem pretty down about the decorating so sending you a hug, I am sort of in same situation but its my kitchen that needs doing but such a job. {hug}
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Aw Helen.... have you tried a sugar soap solution? I've found that it works better than any other cleaner for that sort of job.. {hug} {hug}
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have only tried fairy liquid ( which usually is fab) and I think perhaps I will just try painting over it, although it seems 200 times more urgent now }hairout{

mrs boodles wrote:Helen, might sound a bit silly but you seem pretty down about the decorating so sending you a hug, I am sort of in same situation but its my kitchen that needs doing but such a job. {hug}

I really know how you feel as my kitchen needs painting too! As does my hall, stairs and and landing. And one bedroom. And porch. And (much more of a real worry) so does the exterior of my house, as my front door is down to the wood and the pebbledash has begun to bubble and fall off. yike*

Bit overwhelmed by it all to be honest!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Awwwww Helen have a {hug} and two more {hug&kiss} {hug&kiss}

Have a nice drink, go to bed and have a good sleep and it wont have disappeared by tomorrow (or should that be today), but you will possibly feel better.

If its any help, we had the exterior of our house decorated the other year by a professional decorator ( I use that term very loosley). He painted the gate, the pebbled path, the windows, the guttering and some of the paint went on the walls. In the end I paid him up and told him to go. To make matters worse it is all starting to peel off where he painted it, too.........and I absolutely hate the colour, which I chose..........!
perchy

Post by perchy »

Aww Helen, invest in some sugarsoap, Mr P has just washed the kitchen ceiling and it has come up brilliant, use a sponge to do it, you may find if it is really mucky painting may take a couple of coats, make a plan to do a few rows at a time, not so daunting for you {hug}

Or have a painting party )c(
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks girls. {hug} Well I am sitting here surveying the damage before I go off to work in a moment, and I think I will just have to get on with sorting it fairly urgently. :?

I may have some sugar soap in the shed, Or not. I will look!

Mind you, it will be lovely when it's all done, and at least if I hate the colour of the walls, I won't have to do the ceiling or woodwork again! )c(
Helen xx

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

sugar soap Helen, it does the trick and cleans off all the stuff that stops the paint from sticking. I have a mountain of jobs that need doing this weekend, I'm just waiting for the time that it is no longer considered rude to start using noisey power tools and hitting things with hammers.

anyway back to your problem... sugar soap soloution is the way ahead and it's not very expensive either.
Bah Humbug
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

really know how you feel as my kitchen needs painting too! As does my hall, stairs and and landing. And one bedroom. And porch. And (much more of a real worry) so does the exterior of my house, as my front door is down to the wood and the pebbledash has begun to bubble and fall off. yike*

Bit overwhelmed by it all to be honest!

You are not alone.

Somehow manged to keep up with the majority of maintenance when the kids were small. I always thought that I would have more time for these things when they had flown, (or more cash).

I did paint the living room ceiling last month. Hubby said "why are you doing that?" - answer "because it's 23 years since it was last done and it's a bit grubby!"
Didn't sugar soap it first cos it's that horrid spikey textured surface. But at least as it is only 6'6" high even I can paint it standing on the floor {rofwl}
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
perchy

Post by perchy »

Wilko's own sugarsoap £2.50 ish, it really is good, in fact I am going to do all the window frames etc today and skirting boards and cupboards :-D

+pinn+
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

It always amazes me how dirty ceilings get. I've done the same as you Helen and made it look far worse with some washing. Get yourself some sugar soap and you'll be surprised how much better it is than fairy liquid.

It'll look lovely when it's done and you can then put some wine stains on the ceiling to make up for the loss of the beer stain {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
manda

Post by manda »

If you haven't got any sugar soap have you got any washing soda...I've used that as an alternative before.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

My hubby is a painter and decorator and he said at the very least you should sugar soap the ceiling to remove all the smoke.

He said to save yourself time in the future if you use Zinsser (a primer, sealer) then use a washable paint, in the future you would be able to wash off any smoke etc with a bit of washing up liquid.

Hope you mange to sort it out today, I hate decorating as it's very true about living with someone in the trade they don't do their own!! Hubby is also qualified in fitting bathrooms and kitchens and guess what they both need replacing as well!!!
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have taken a photo! Oh well, next time I am feeling creative, I think I will choose something a little less daunting. Like crocheting a granny square {rofwl}

Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oooooh - had a bit of a result (I think >coc< ) Do you remember I was complaining about the cost of coloured Dullux paint at £19 for 2.5L?

Well, I have just been to my little local hardware shop as I had to go a few doors away anyway to get some chicken feed, and thought I would get the sugar soap. A trip to wilcos wouldn't have been till tues (have to pick new glasses up nearby) and to go specially would mean more petrol and car park charges.

So the sugar soap was £2.25. While I was there I asked the cost of my paint, and they mix it. £33 for 5L )c( That's a bit better.

Also looked at the ordinary white emulsion - £13.50 for 5L. I usually buy the one that goes on pink, but that is pricey and anyway, they didn't have any. So was about to buy it and the chap asked if I wanted a 7L for £14.99. That will do nicely!

I also looked at a 1L tin of gloss for £9.99, and asked how much a bigger one would be. He scrabbled around and found me a 3L one - £14.50 )c(

I think I did quite well! Am going to go back for the main emulsion when I am ready to use it.
Helen xx