tree pruning

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

tree pruning

Post by bmpsands »

Round here it costs £200 for a professional job; the new house has taken all of our money and we are newly retired - so there won't be much more coming in.

Two of our trees (one a beech, one probably a rowan) are very tall, with only very scrappy growth for the first third of their height. Is is possible to do a drastic prune back to the lowest point where there is reasonable growth? We don't want to chop the trees down, but they really can't continue as they are.

All suggestions welcome.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Re: tree pruning

Post by Homemade »

Probably a winter job.
Depends on the tree and their size / age.
Beech will regrow however hard it is pruned.
I don't generally like to cut trees back since pruning encourages lots of new growth and you get a mass of branches.
Picture would help and I could suggest which branches to cut for best effect.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
manda

Post by manda »

Hubby (who is a qualified arborist) suggests you get a qualified arborist in to do a free quote...best way of getting information on what needs doing.....then do it yourself if you feel able.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks very much for the responses. I don't like cutting trees back either, but with these two I am sure it's the correct thing to do - and lots of new branches is what I suppose I am aiming for.

Thanks again
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.