Corrugated steel roof

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Stig
Lively Laner

Corrugated steel roof

Post by Stig »

Just been putting a roof on my workshop using corrugated steel sheets. It's gone on ok - a lot bendier that I thought it'd be, the roofline has a bit of an undulation where some of my fixings are tighter than others, but I think I can even it out.

I'm not sure what to do at the apex. I decided not to buy the l-shaped flashings to finish it, there's a corrugated chapel not far from us that has lovely timber bargeboards and with a spike at the top, that's what I'm trying to do. However, the metal on the chapel seems to cover the top of the bargeboard and the join between the two is perfect, layers of paint & putty over 100 years have probably sealed it. My metal is flapping around with a noticeable gap.

My plan now is to find some waterproof foam pipe insulation and tuck it into the corrugation so it has some support. Then screw through the metal into the top edge of the barge board. Not very elegant, & I'm not 100% certain this'll work, so just having a 24 hour think about it before I dive in. Any better ideas anyone?
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Corrugated steel roof

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Do your roof joists extend past the outside of your workshop walls? The trick would be to attach the bargeboards to these so they slotted into the first upward bendy bit then nail through into the top edge of the board. If you think the board is too thin to take a nail then attach a baton to the top edge.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Stig you can get foam strips that are designed just for this. They are the opposite profile of the sheet so you end up with a perfectly level layer of foam at the end of the sheet to creat a weather proof joint. I do have some that you could have but the chances of it being the same profile are slim. can you post a pic or link of your corrugated steel?
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Good idea I'll take a piccy & show you what I mean! I'm stuck at work during the week, which is driving me mad. I just want to get my roof finished!

Al, I've used those foam fillers along the corrugations, but it's the straight edge along the apex that I'm fretting about. I think the problem is my facia board is too short - possibly planting a bit on the top edge, to bring it in contact with the top of the corrugation, is the way to go.