No butterflies!!!

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
gromit
Lively Laner

No butterflies!!!

Post by gromit »

I have two buddleia (butterfly bushes) in the garden absolutely covered in flower and no butterflies, infact I have only seen one or two of the common ones this year so far and no whites at all.

Is this just local to holderness or is it a nationwide thing, also we have reasonable numbers of bumblebees but no honeybees at all, sounds pretty disastrous to me, and believe me our garden is chokablock with flowers of all sorts.

What's the situation elsewhere in the country? and if it's nation wide will the butterflies recover?
How did I ever find the time to go to work
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: No butterflies!!!

Post by lancashire lass »

The combination of cold and wet weather has meant a lot of butterflies would not emerge until it is warmer so there is still time. On the allotment I have seen the odd cabbage white when it is sunny over the past few weeks, and in my neighbour's weedy abandoned plot small dark brown butterflies on the grasses (no idea what they are) In June there was a Speckled Wood - these seem to be regular visitors in my garden and put a grand show on my patio (apparently they have territories and if you disturb one but wait quietly, it always returns to the same spot)

Providing their environment is secure, I think butterfly numbers will bounce back but may take a few years. Where farming practices and development has encroached on natural habitats and removed the food sources (wild flowers specific to species), there is the risk the numbers will continue to diminish.

As for honey bees - they don't go out when it is raining so there is a risk they may have suffered if food reserves are low. The bumblebees are still around - while popping down to the allotment early in a morning recently, I could definitely hear them buzzing round the courgette and comfrey flowers )t'
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

You're right - I've seen very few this year. Really hope they do boumce back now the weather has improved, or at least over the next few years.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Same here.
Seen a few butterflies, but no bees sadly.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Same here as well, hardly anything on the buddlea.

Very few ladybirds in evidence either, or greenfly for that matter. Masses of slugs & snails.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Have seen one Red Admiral and one Cabbage White this year so far. Have loads and loads of moths though.
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

getting some peacocks now over the past week plus cabbage whites and one tortoiseshell, but no red admirals as yet, better than none though :-D
How did I ever find the time to go to work