Allergies - itchy eyes

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
LisaB

Allergies - itchy eyes

Post by LisaB »

I've had allergies for years but the passed year has been quite bad.
I'm on the strongest dose of allergy tablets I can be prescribed (can't remember the name!) to take in the morning and then a Piriton to take at night, but nothing seems to be working.
I thought it was mainly down to the cats that set off my allergies, but I've stayed round peoples houses for days at a time who have no pets and I've been the exact same.
It always starts in the morning, within 5 minutes of me waking up I get sneezy and itchy eyes.
It'll last for a few hours and then ease off.
The only time it comes back is if I go for a nap, and when I wake up it'll start all over again.
Am I allergic to waking up?

The main thing I'm suffering with at the moment is the itchy eyes, well, they get quite sore really and water constantly. I've tried nasal sprays, didn't work. and I've tried different eye drops, but they just cooled my eyes, dropping cold water in them is just as good.

What can I do?
I like to be up and ready early, but I can't do make up with tears constantly running down my face :?

Any help would be great
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Allergies - itchy eyes

Post by mrs boodles »

Lisa sorry to hear your eyes are really playing up. I am not allergic to anything but have problems with my eyes ever since I had an overactive thyroid 12 yrs ago. They stream in the morning and very sore and sunlight not good for me first thing. Doctor said they were dry even though streaming, he prescribed eye drops for during the day and a an ointment for night called Lacrilube. You can get it over the counter at chemist but because your eyes are so bad would advise you to speak to the pharmasist first.
Hope you feel better soon
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thanks mrs b, I may have to pop to the doctors but I try not too hahaha!
I always say my eyes feel dry on a morning, it feels as if I've slept with my eyes open, and then they start pouring and tingly, and from my rubbing them they get really sore and red.
I do have fairly sensitive eyes, certain make up really irritates them, but on a morning I have nothing on.

I wish I could find out what I'm allergic too really, as none of it really makes sense, unless I'm allergic to air.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

As your eyes start itching when in bed could it be anything to do with your pillows? Maybe it would pay you to buy new ones with anti allergy filling.
I know that you are on them all night, but you may only be aware of the problem on waking. Otherwise try using a different detergent for washing bedding.
I am not good at regularly replacing pillows but as I suffer with asthma, have decided that I will buy cheaper pillow in future and replace more often.
I do hope that the eye problem soon clears up. I know that you can use tablets and eye drops, but better to try and get to the bottom of what causes it.
Yes I know, easier said than done.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

About 15 years ago I developed a terrible allergy-like itchy eye problem, every evening
they would itch intensly with no obvious cause, it got gradually worse, swelling too.
I was recommended to a homeopathist - I was desperate so willing to try anything -
she was amazing within a few days the itching stopped! But..a few years later it
came back, that lady had moved & I couldnt find anyone else with her skill. One thing
that helped me was opticrom eyedrops, they need to be used regularly at the first niggle, rather than relief they seem to prevent the reaction.
However I've barely needed them this year, I think I've discovered the root of my
allergy may have been the dried bloodworm we feed our fish, if the tiniest dust from it
gets onto my hands it would often end up in my eyes. Even if I didnt touch it, someone
else did & it got round the house.
See if you can avoid touching your eyes for an evening (harder than you think) & see if that makes any difference. Another thing can be pollen from some trees seems more
active in the evening.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

Just a thought. Could it be your make up and cleanser? I am allergic to anything like that - even expensive hypo allergenic brands. My eyes swell up and stream within seconds. It feels like grains of glass in my eyes. I wake up still like it for about a week if I try a new brand. When you rub your eyes tiny weeny particles could be making it worse.
Also could be washing powder used to wash your bedding, as albertajune said (I use non-bio for everything that touches my skin!)
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I do use hypo-allergenic bedding, but I know it's not my bedding as the same thing happens when I nap downstairs or sleep at someone else's house, or in the garden etc. Wherever I sleep I get the same symptoms.

I thought it could have been something makeup-wise but I've used lots of different products and haven't found anything that eases or eliminates the itchyness. I have used mascaras that have irritated my eyes a little more, but I take all my make up off in the evening, and the symptoms only start when I wake up.
I have clear airways and my eyes are fine (other than feeling a bit dry) when I wake up, but a few minutes later I'll be blocked up with streaming eyes.

It's more the inner corner of my eye that gets red and sore. I get the same, tortzblue, when it's make up that's irritated my eyes, like grains across my eyeball, but in the morning it's not the same as that.

I thought it might have been soap or something I've used and then rubbed my eyes but I've tried loads of different things (and not rubbing my eyes, but when you can't stop sneezing and your eyes are streaming it's hard not to).

I'm just at a loss really, I would love to find out what it is that's causing it but I just can't figure it out at all.

I've tried lots of different eyedrops I can't remember if I've used opticrom, I shall pick some up though and give them a try, thank you!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lisa I just remembered about your arthritis & wondered if there could be a connection,
some mention of it here -( though I usually ignore most US health sites) may be
worth checking with your dr though, could be a new symptom or a reaction to meds.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/rheuma ... is/AN01485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you :D
I do go for eye check ups but they're always fine, and my meds have been completely changed since last year but my eyes still itch.
I'll mention it at my next appointment though )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Poor you Lisa {cry}

I'm wondering if it is indeed an allergy and not some other eye condition perhaps?

Blepharitis (I had a dose of this last year)
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blepharitis/pages/introduction.aspx

Or Uveitis
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/uveitis/pages/introduction.aspx

The only way you'll know is to get an opthalmology referal via your GP )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.