Couch to 5K anyone?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Stef
Legendary Laner

Couch to 5K anyone?

Post by Stef »

I have run my first run this morning. I say run, I mean jog(ish).

OK I have to admit I have been very, very, very fit in the past (always chubby mind) I was an aerobics instructor to pay my way through Uni! But age and illness have destroyed all of that!

So, having got all my bloods back with an A OK to train I set out! OMG! The nice Laura (NHS podcast lady) was really sweet and didn't shout or voice her disappointment when I only managed the first 2 runs - shockingly unfit :oops:

Still, I had already worked out that I am so unfit I would probably need to do week 1 three times before I could move on!

Is anyone else starting something similar? I wondered if anyone would want a cheerful e-bum kicker - I certainly do :-D
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Couch to 5K anyone?

Post by MissEllie »

Well done Stef )app( I'd love to say I'd join you but I'm stuck to the couch! :oops:
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

Ive just got back into cycling, used to do a lot until my late teens, nothing competitive but I racked up a lot of miles.

Currently doing runs of 25 miles in around 1h30/40 which considering my arthritis I think is pretty good going!

Had a rough week due to an adverse reaction to my medication, really struggled on my last two runs so don't know if I will get out much in the next two weeks {cry}

Just build up slowly!
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I bang out at least three gym sessions a week, normally before work; dependng on how much time I have I am normally do between and hour and two hours per session and always do a minimum of 30 mins CV workout.
Bah Humbug
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Great that you got out for a run, the first time is hard, {hug} It sounds like a great app, where would you find it please :-D
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

There is hope for me then!

The NHS podcast - could have sworn I put the link in >dum<

Here it is http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

Music isn't too bad! Have fun with it!

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Well done Stef )t'

I'm not a runner by any means, but I've done the 5K 'Race for Life' for the last five years.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Hi Stef
Good luck with the running, after all that is what we humans are designed to do.

Remember though, running is a funny game. People ask me if running gets easier once you have started training. Unfortunately, it doesn't as the fitter you get the harder you start running and the harder it becomes again. Stick with it, it great for cardio, vascular and all round fitness.
Michael
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

MissEllie wrote:Well done Stef )app( I'd love to say I'd join you but I'm stuck to the couch! :oops:

I'm with you on this one. I do walk the dog a mile each day and am busy in the house with housework, but that's my limit :oops:
Lyn

Post by fabindia »

Hi Stef

How's the running coming along?
Michael
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Please don't ask.

Left leg has always been knackered due to being born without left hip (it grew but left some problems).

I did 2 weeks and then the left knee started screaming at me. Never happened before, not even when taking 12+ aerobic classes a week (as an instructor, not participant, that would be madness). Possibly ACL strain so I took some time out to rest it. Then the achilles tendon tightened - felt like I was wearing 12" heels. So I went off to a physio.

Too much too soon!! AGAIN??? I hardly did anything!

So I am going back to kickboxing my heavy bag plus some resistance band work with the sissy band (I have a range of them). Running can wait until I have lost a bit more weight and built up a bit more muscle.

Having said that, now the pain has subsided I am going back to the gym to use the rowers. They don't seem to cause the same problem (postural instability is definitely the cause). So I will be doing some cardio! The kickboxing and band work will address some of the postural stuff. I may even pump up the big ball and fall off that a few times :-D

Now, aren't you sorry you asked >dum<

fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Stef wrote:Running can wait until I have lost a bit more weight and built up a bit more muscle.<

Ever thought about swimming 5k? I think swimming, especially front crawl, is one of the best aerobic exercises - it's all about getting the breathing right. The downside of distance swimming in a pool is it is all the same. I never tire of running through the streets and woods, you don't get that joy swimming.
Michael
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Thanks for that Michael. I may give it a whirl. I need to do something a bit more aerobic, anaemia notwithstanding!

I shall buy myself a cossie as soon as poss!

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Hi Stef,

Just followed your link and read the page - they do say there's a strength & flex version that you could do, and that it would help your running. Maybe that would be a gentler start? That and the five minute warm ups.

I too am welded to the couch, but need to do something. I know that when I have tried before I wouldn't have been able to build up as it says. I used to take things lamppost by lamppost instead. Run one, walk til breath under control, then another etc, and very quickly could string the posts together and do ten minutes. (That's when the willpower went!)

A friend suggested singing to build up lung capacity - couldn't get more gentle than that. A 93 year old friend does isometrics tensing muscles limb by limb then torso and so on til all groups tensed 100 times each (he does this in bed before sleeping and getting up) and gentle step ups. My Dad, was told by the Quack to tense, hold & release his muscles to achieve the same effect as gym and sit-ups. Maybe starting with these types of things might help with the basic groundwork, and I expect you have loads of exercises you could do from your teaching days.

Depressing when you used to be so fit. Me too. But your posts have given me an e-bumkick even if it didn't work the other way around. Thanks!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Freeranger wrote:I used to take things lamppost by lamppost instead. Run one, walk one

That's an excellent suggestion. Even experienced runners use this type of variation - jog one sprint one, then jog 2, sprint 2, jog 2 minutes, run at pace 2 minutes and so it goes on. People say to me does running get any easier. The answer is no, the fitter you get the harder you can push yourself.
Michael