Kitten litter training-gone adrift, Help?

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
PetHeaven
Lively Laner

Post by PetHeaven »

Hello All
I have a 5 month old kitten and she was litter trained when I got her from the CPL, and recognised her litter tray. But from this time onwards she has had several wee accidents and is keen on using paper and any plastic container she finds. I called the CPL just to make sure they had done her training fully-and they assured me litter training went well. She has wee'd on the carpet a few times just 3 individual spots and of course she recognises the smell and goes to use there again. I have bought a special carpet smell deactivator/cleaner from the pet store that is recognised as being a good brand. How can I re-train her now and try to put her off using these carpet areas. Thanks
When is a chicken not a chicken?....when its a battery hen!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
Not any good with cats I am afraid.
But if you put clicker training cats in your search. You should find a really good site about cat training. No question to silly for them, in fact I would think your one is pretty normal. I have lots of housetraining questions.
It is something like cat-click, but I can't find it like that. I am on one that is bird-click, so it is there.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Ok - a few things:

Have you changed her litter recently to a different brand - some don't like it and will unrinate elswehere.

Have you changed the citing of the litter tray - maybe where she doesn't like it?

Have there been any changes in the house recently? New person, new routine, new cat in the neighbourhood - this can trigger stress and the urination problem

If it's none of these things, then check she's well - if she has FLUTD (posh acronym for cystitis), then this again can be a problem - signs would be frequent urination, straining, blood etc

If she all healthy, then you'll need to go back to bascis:

First disinfect the area with biological washing powder, then spray lightly with surgical spirits. This gets rid of that smell that makes them go there agaun.

Secondly, they say that each cat should have one litter tray and a spare, as they don't like using a soiled tray.

Try citing the tray in a quiet corner, rather than in a hallway for example which has too much people traffic, making sure it's cleaned regularly.

You may have to start training again - ie when she's eaten - put her on the tray. Praise her lots and lots when she uses it. If she makes a mistake, then telling cats of is counter productive - it stresses them more, and in some instances will see this as attention and may repeat the behaviour.

Maybe put some double sided tape on the areas she's been urinating, which means it's uncomfortable and will disuade her.

A covered tray may also be better if she's shy and needs privacy (some cats do)

These are just a few suggestions - if you need any further advice, please email me - I could rant forever on here otherwise!! (f+

OH and it sounds like she's pretty keen on smooth surfaces (paper and plastic) - wonder if CPL littter trained her in a tray with shredded paper.
Maybe try a softer litter, something that isn't too harsh and uncomfortable on her pads
Small steps lead to big changes
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

PetHeaven

I have used foil to prevent ours from scratching the wall and furniture (attach with sellotape) If she is wetting the same place it might be an idea to try all morph's suggestions and put a piece of foil over the floor area.

It appears that when they touch the foil they cannot stand the feel or noise of it.
Best of luck Anna
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

My kittens taken to pooing in my bedroom!! Bless him!
I shall try the foil thing. He knows where his litter tray is but seems reluctant to use it which is understandable, since he's only been here since Monday.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
PetHeaven
Lively Laner

kitty training

Post by PetHeaven »

Hi everyone-thanks for all the suggestions. I'll clean the carpet areas again and try the litter re-training using positive rewards, as she's in great health and has a private nice clean tray to use, I think she's just got confused. many thanks again.
When is a chicken not a chicken?....when its a battery hen!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Hi.. I very recently litter trained all seven of mine succesfully :mrgreen: .. The only time they have mishaps is if the litter tray is moved away from their normal area , if they cant get to it, or if it is dirty.. When I gave each jnr to the new owners I told them which litter they were used to and advised to clean regularily but leave a small amount of soiled litter in the tray so they can recognise its smell. This is only until they are old enough and wise enough to recognise a sparkly litter tray.. Cats are naturally clean animals and will want to 'go' in one area ie litter tray.. Its probably just a hiccup, best of luck..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

I've managed to retrain mine, with success. Was pretty easy, he just goes there off his own back now. Glad no more mishaps on my carpet.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!