old wooden door

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

old wooden door

Post by bmpsands »

The new house has a few built in cupboards that have the potential to be gorgeous. They have, at one time, been a lovely rich colour and have a fairly high-gloss varnished finish. Alas, they are filthy! Wiping them down hasn't made a dint in their condition and I'm reluctant to wage chemical warfare for fear of harming them. I'm not experienced enough to strip them properly and start again. We also have some beams in the same condition.

Any suggestions please? I'd be so grateful - OH is threatening to sand them down and paint them white.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Re: old wooden door

Post by HappyBob »

If its just a build up of grime how about giving them a good clean with sugar soap mixed with as hot water as you can stand (wear thick rubber gloves) and see how you get on with them, before a more radical plan is needed.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thank you. Have got some sugar soap now and will try it at the weekend.

B
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

If they are really greasy liquid dishwasher soap and the hot water, or more hot water and bicarb if needed - neither should touch the finish.

We helped friends renovate their kitchen. She was determined that the cupbaord doors were uttely knackered. 2 hours later she had the most wonderful solid oak kitchen, which she has never, ever forgiven us for (she is usually the one in the know about such things!)

Best was we hadn't ruined the finish so all it needed was a little bit of tlc to make it all bright and warmly shiny again.

Oooh! Forgot! If you have any damp squishy oily bits, sprinkle talc on and wipe off with hot water with lemon juice or vinegar. That drys it up and cleans it quite well. That and an old toothbrush can be your friend where grain and deeper deposits are concerned.
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going up to the new place now armed with everything that has been suggested. Must remember to buy toothbrushes on the way back!!!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thank you. thank you. thank you.

to those who recommended an approach for my old wooden doors - here's the update.

I got the sugar soap, bicarb etc and did the work over the weekend. You would not believe (or maybe you would) how much dirt came away. I've discovered an issue with the bottom frame, which appears to have had half an inch of varnish put on over grot of some sort. Otherwise, they are a lovely sort of golden brown colour for the most part.

OH says he can fix the bottom of the frame and I have some varnish/woodstain that is more or less the same colour.

B
manda

Post by manda »

Excellent )piicy(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny