Allium

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Mrs B

Allium

Post by Mrs B »

DD has bought some Allium bulbs as apparently she loves "those pom pom flower things"

She has a few questions ....

Will they do better in a pot or in the ground? Will they come back year after year and does she have to cut them back? Should she plant them in clumps or individually, will they spread?

I won't repeat the rest of the questions as it would make her look incredibly dense.

Thanks in advance nice garden Laners
perchy

Re: Allium

Post by perchy »

I like Aliums, I have grown them in pots and in the garden, I prefer them in pots they look quite regal, not unlike myself )grin2( I think I am right in saying it is better to let them die off rather than trim them, then the goodness goes back into the bulb )t' Make sure the pot has good drainage, and depending on the size and variety if big ones maybe 5 in a decent pot smaller ones better in clumps

and no you cannot eat them )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

She's right you know - Perchy )b(
I like alliums as well
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
perchy

Post by perchy »

Annie wrote:She's right you know - Perchy )b(
I like alliums as well

{rofwl} {rofwl}
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

What Perchy said :-D (and what Annie said as well {hug} ). There is a garden on the road above ours, that has nothing planted in it apart from the huge blue pom-pom ones - when they flower it is absolutely stunning (a bit rubbish the rest of the year though).
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks Ladies I have passed on all your advice to her .... and told her not to eat them :-D