Really pleased with our bargain

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Really pleased with our bargain

Post by Teasal »

The big telly we inherited when we moved to the farm gave up the ghost a few weeks ago. Our smaller one decided to only work on one channel. Did not want to go to the expense of a new telly, although we would have needed one anyway with the digital changeover, as ours were old.

The other day, whilst on a horse forum, one of the ladies was giving away a Panasonic tv and stand. Only reason was she had got a wall mounted one taking up less space. Before taking it to the tip she offered it on the board.

Picked it up tonight, and it works perfectly, and has a top box too. Hows that for a bargain!!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Woo hoo way to go, well done. How frugal is that !!
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Thats excellent, well done!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

Another good thing, it is quite new as well, so will not need replacing when the changeover comes. Isn't it surprising what people are willing to take to the tip. I have seen people dump all sorts at the tip, which I am sure had they taken the time to ask, could be of use to someone.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That's a brilliant find, teasal. I think councils should be sorting stuff out and keeping the good stuff, before it gets chucked in the skip. The odd times I have taken real rubbish there I look in the skips and want to climb in and retrieve stuff, of course the attendant wont let me.

Ilona
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

thats great )t'

we had a good bargin with our t.v. we bought it from a local auction
it is 28 inch wide screen 2005 sony t,v with stand and video recorder

we got the whole lot for £30

we knew it cost £550 in 2005 because the intructions had the original reciept enclosed

my friend has just upgraded her tv to digital hd on the wall job and can,t GIVE her old t.v away

what a world we live in

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

Thats unfair of them IIona - at our tip, I have noticed lots of people lurking round any day you go. They are not employees of the tip, just people looking for stuff to sell on I think. maybe thats why your tip people do not want you taking the stuff out. Ours have the better stuff displayed, and seem to sell it for a few quid. Tables, chairs, book cases, that sort of thing. Not sure if its for themselves, or the owners of the tip!!!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Our tip is like that too, anything possibly reusable is kept to one side for sale? or whatever.

Not sure about the changeover to digital, out TV is about 15 years old, hubby wanted a new flat screen jobby, I said he could when he proved there were enough programmes on to make it worthwhile :?
mikey
Lively Laner

Post by mikey »

Over here in the Isle of Man they have a covered area that you can leave items in for anyone who wants them, with the understanding that its the takers risk if something does not work. You can find just about anything if you keep your eyes open when on site.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

our tip sells things on but sometimes the price are high, i walked away from something because it was too much from the tip, but this week i got new seat cushions for the sofa free the prevous owner had replacment cushions as they had sagged, not as much as ours!! LOL

Freecycle around here active also
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

my step father used to come back from the skip all the time with stuff, he got a really comfy chair from there once, my mum used to dread him going to skip cause he came home with more than he went with lol
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

A friend and myself went to the tip one day and they had a section where you could buy stuff. I suddenly realised we must have looked like a couple of bag ladies - wildly rummaging thru old pots and pans and scrap metal!!!! :oops:

Still, she came away with an egg poacher and I got a couple of colanders! )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

I once recycled three paste tables from a waste tip. Served me well for two years of boot sales, and I've still got them!

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's really great to hear these stories.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
thehenhouse
Lively Laner

Post by thehenhouse »

well done teasel.

Freecycle is good too. We just received a new midi player- when ours packed in.. its a sony.. twas her mums... hardly used.. better that the one we had before.
She had a tv to give awaytoo, but ours is fine right now..Maggi xx