We love our woodburning stove!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
echelon
Longlasting Laner

We love our woodburning stove!

Post by echelon »

We moved into our home just over 4 years ago now and we had a wood/smokeless fuel burning stove fitted into the lounge where the horrible gas fire had been.

It looked cute and cosy during the winters, but we're now finding that it's saving us a small fortune in gas!!!!!!!!!! I light it every afternoon and I never put the central heating on. It warms the whole house (two bedroomed terrace with an attic bedroom) and it's certainly saving us money.

I take the kids out to hunt for stray logs and wood and we've spent all summer stockpiling smokeless fuel which is cheaper during the summer months!

I can recommend one of these and you can also get backboilers on some models so that you have hot water too.
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

we have one of those as well, and its great, you need to go and get one of those things for making the newspaper logs from, I got one delivered today from Amazon, saw a link to it from on here.
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Oh, I use all our newspapers to line the guinea pig's cage! :razz:

Sounds like a good way of recycling newspaper though!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I want one! But had a brand new gas fire and fireplace last Christmas so no hope (the last gas fire was 20 years old so at that rate I have another 19 to go till this one needs replacing)
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

When we renovated the house we have just left, we removed the gas fire, and fitted a wood stove. What a difference it made, to the house. We also had a Rayburn in the kitchen. I am bringing the woodstove out, but sadly the Rayburn is no use here as its gas.
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

I so wish we had one! I had a coal fire up until moving in with my husband. I have tried to convince him to change,but as our boiler is only 3 years old,he cant justify the cost. He insists on having prepayment meters,and during the recent coldsnap,I used £5 in 2 days.
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Teasel, if you get on to Rayburn and ask about converting it to bottled gas, (propane), I'm sure they can help you as it is only a matter of changing the jets.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

I have thought about converting - but one of my neighbours has a Rayburn running this way, and the gas delivery man drops two large cylinders twice a week - goodness knows how much that costs her? Also, as it runs the water, and heating as well as cooking, the new owners may not be happy if I remove it.

I am considering either solid fuel, or oil, but as we have plenty of wood around the farm, sold fuel may be the better - if dustier, option?
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

If you convert to propane, investigate the oil company contrats for a tank, it works out a lot cheaper in bulk and the company owns the tank not you, but the tank may need planning permission. The fuel company will be up to speed on this.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

i would really love a wood burner...at the moment we have a really old fashioned 1970s bar gas fire in the lounge will the boiler behind it (baxi)

i keep saying to hubby about opening up the chimney again and having a wood burner

didn,t realise you could get wood burners with back boilers..but i probably would need another boiler for the gas rads wouldn,t i ?

just waiting for the boiler to go bang..then when needs replacing we could go with a wood burner may bee

the boiler is about 38 years old too so..nothing lasts for ever!!

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Ooo Tina they built them to last in those days! I remember our Baxi in the house we lived in 1979, my bedroom was always freezing cos it was the last room on the system and the hot water had gone cold by the time it reached my room :?
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

kate don,t

i would really love to have a new wood burner and boiler..i find the fire in the lounge embarressing :oops: ..but hubby says it retro!!!

but i must admit on a really cold night (like halloween was) we put it on for instant heat (when we could eventually light it as the ignition has gone) it really heat the rooms up

but i like the idea of a wood burner heating the whole house without having to put on the gas rads

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Our wood burner stove is in the basement(where we live mostly)and as we have a low ceiling it gets quite hot. There are no doors in the main body of the house so the hot air rises warming upstairs too...a bit! I get most of my wood from work, so it costs next to nothing to run. We only have bottle gas for the cooker, and that lasts 18 months, so pretty good for fuel bills. Electricity over here is expensive and monopolised , so we do economise there!
Looove chucks!
Gwiz
Learner Laner

Post by Gwiz »

We fitted a new multi fuel stove about 3 years ago.
luckily for us, I work occasionaly with a team of tree surgeons, so I'm quite well supplied with good logs.
the only drawback I've found, is our living room gets so cosy, I'm asleep on the sofa in no time at all!
Graham.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

When walking puppy this morning I bumped into my friend in the village (well, one of my friends I should say - got more than one, honest). She invited me to have a look at her sitting room complete with new wood burner.

I am SOOOO jealous, it looks beautiful, she says it is a bit messy compared to switching the gas or lecky on but, her sitting room looks a really cosy snug for the winter months.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/