Winter hanging baskets

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Winter hanging baskets

Post by boosmummy »

This year, i bought i hanging basket kit with sweet peas, had every will in the world to water it etc..then..........forgot. Because out door has a porch over it (not a porch that you walk into, just a roof type thing) it didnt get any rain either, but also it doesnt get wind damaged either.

I want a nice winter hanging basket, and im toying with the idea of nice artificial flower rather than real ones, because at least it will last. What do you think? I think some of the can look a tad naff and i dont want the naff look x
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Winter hanging baskets

Post by Linda S »

Ithink its a lovely idea you can get some really natural artificial plants nowadays. Isuppose if the flowers are not what you like you could do one with all greenery and it will still be beautiful. Good luck and dont forget to )piicy( cause we might want to copy your great idea :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
perchy

Post by perchy »

You could put some ivy's in and get some artificial mini daffs, best of both then )t'
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

You could try Heathers and as Perchy says Ivy. When you put the compost in, mix it with some water retaining crystals. That should take it through the winter. You don't have to hardly water in winter anyway. Put some miniature daffs in as well and they will poke through in Spring
mandaloon
Lively Laner

Post by mandaloon »

I was just thinking the same thing today, I have several hanging baskets which to be honest never reached their full potential this summer and the one basket that really suffered was the one to the side of my porch which was sheltered from the rain... everything else got washed away and this one suffered drought! I'm gonna try to over winter some of the plants... if I can find enough window sill space. ( where there's a sill, there's a way).... sorry.
I've never been a lover of plastic plants but your choice of real plants is so limited and not cheap either. I like those ornimental cabbages but apart from ivy, I cant think of anything that actually hangs down and would survive . A combination of real, plastic and even dried " bits" like sprays of rose hips and ivy seed heads could look good and would survive quite well until the birds attack them... plastic chillis would look good! I decorated an outdoor xmas tree with big plastic chillis and giant snowflakes once... If I ever work out how to post a pic, I'll put it here . Winter gets SOoo depressing , it pays to be a little mad sometimes.