Fasting

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
saint-spoon

Re: Fasting

Post by saint-spoon »

During mediaeval times some monastic communities seemingly lasted longer than the ruling aristocracy because they had quite a strict regime of fasting whereas the aristocracy and most of the clergy paid the monks to fast and do the penance for them.

this is not however a short term thing, you need to do it pretty much forever
Bah Humbug
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Just thought I'd pop in for a quick smug moment :-D

7 weeks, a 2 week weight stall, 16lbs lost!

It hasn't been too bad. I have taken a very relaxed approach to it and have found it very easy to keep to the fasted days.

Good luck to anyone else trying it. This is my first diet and hopefully my last!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Well done Stef )app( do you feel better on yourself as well as the great weight loss )t'
Sunny how are you getting on :-D
Good luck to all of you having a go at this )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Didn't manage my fast this Thursday as I went for a day out in Exeter - in fact even worse I found a place doing "all you can eat" for £6 so probably had twice my normal amount of food! )eat(

Back on track next week.

My last fast day was even better as I had a bit of my veg soup for lunch, so was less hungry and this time I didn't get a headache, although I really feel very spaced out and not mentally competent on fast days and would not trust myself to drive.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

You need a treat sometimes Sunny and you have the right mindset to get back on it {hug}. We have quite a few of those places mostly chinese very yummy i must say )eat(
Good luck and i hope you enjoyed your day out and meal
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
mortgagefreeme
Learner Laner

Post by mortgagefreeme »

Stef thats impressive. Definitely going to start fasting, the Doctor in the documentary certainly lost some weight. I just hate being hungry. OH doesn't seem to bother much about hunger, but I soon get light headed. I like the idea of being able to eat what you want on non fast days. Guilt free eating :-D .
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Well done Stef, that's an impressive result! )t'
How is everyone else doing on this? I am on my first day of fasting. Am going to stick to 400kcals per day as I need some kcals for milk in my tea and coffee. It's going surprisingly well so far. Was quite hungry around 11.30am, but I am ok now. Not feeling any effect of not eating so far, but there are a fair few hours left in the day.
I saw those recipes in the telegraph. All quite fancy aren't they? :?
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

redd_angel55 wrote:How is everyone else doing on this?

Mrs Fab and I have adopted this as a permanent part of our lifestyle. I only eat 400 kcals on my fast days as, although I am not particularly short (5' 8"), I am pretty light in weight.

Mrs Fab doesn't exercise on fast days but I do; I ran 5 miles on yesterday's fast day, no bother at all.

I honestly believe that we consume far too much in the West, say compared to what people in the East ate a few years ago. What has become apparent is that, as people in the East have started to adopt a more Western diet, more meat, processed foods, etc, their rates of heart disease and cancer have risen proportionately.
Michael
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Despite having failed at the fitness bit and term time having started again I am now 19lbs down and still loving the Intermittent aspect of my fasting 'diet'.

Bestest is the inch loss. Weight loss has slowed down to a steady 1lb a weekish but the size of me is a much better measure. I have worn all my old skinnier clothes and am now getting the sewing machine out to run darts in the back of most of them - winter cardi's will hide the rubbish sewing skills :-D

Most evil of all is I have bagged some clothes up to send on to my sister - knowing that they will be too small for her )de:
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Well done Stef, the weight loss is impressive. The rate of loss has to slow down and stop eventually, but the 5:2 diet should ensure that you don't put the weight back on again.
Michael