Blooming itchy bites (insect bites)!

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Blooming itchy bites (insect bites)!

Post by Benny&Co »

Has anyone else noticed more biting bugs around this year?

We've been eaten alive (almost) in the garden - wonder if it's due to the amount of rain we had?

We both got caught in the garden (or the girls run?) the other day and I've got three horrible bits that are painful and itchy lumps!

The other week I got caught too, they were a bit different to these though - two on one foot and one on my leg and have left red dots almost like you'd imagine a bit mark to be!

Ho-hum, been popping an anti-histamine tablet and applying cream, not much else you can do really is there? Mind you, thought I'd try a bit of toothpaste this morning too >dum<
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mad Chick

Re: Blooming itchy bites (insect bites)!

Post by Mad Chick »

Try rubbing a slightly damp bar of soap on them Bev - it really helps with the itching )t'

My friend got bitten by a spider last week in her garden. It came up in a really dark red hard lump that was painful rather than itchy yike*
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Have you got an Aloe vera plant?

My next door neighbour gave me one years ago when I came back from Spain having been eaten alive by anything that could have bitten me!

You just snap a leaf off and rub the gel into the bite and it clears up quickly. I found mine so good that my sister who lives in spain now has them in her orchard and uses it for everything.
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
manda

Post by manda »

Have you tried the electronic clickers? ..we use them all the time and they really work...insects love me so they get used a lot!! )gr:
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

There's def a lot more about due to the damp weather - my legs look awful - went to the physio yesterday and was embarrassed - I look like a flea bitten old hag with all the gnat bites!! I've not heard of the electronic clickers before - must look into that.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Mad Chick wrote:Try rubbing a slightly damp bar of soap on them Bev - it really helps with the itching )t'

My friend got bitten by a spider last week in her garden. It came up in a really dark red hard lump that was painful rather than itchy yike*

Thanks Lucy might give it a try )t'

yike* about the biting spiders!!!! I got bitten by one when I was in Australia yike* thought it was a mozzy bite, but when my hand was the size of a football the next day thought I'd better get checked out. The doc said oh yeah, it's a spider bite but you're lucky it's not one of the deadly ones!!!
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

tamk23 wrote:Have you got an Aloe vera plant?

My next door neighbour gave me one years ago when I came back from Spain having been eaten alive by anything that could have bitten me!

You just snap a leaf off and rub the gel into the bite and it clears up quickly. I found mine so good that my sister who lives in spain now has them in her orchard and uses it for everything.

Ah I used to have a lovely Aloe Vera plant Tam, could do with it now! :-D
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

manda wrote:Have you tried the electronic clickers? ..we use them all the time and they really work...insects love me so they get used a lot!! )gr:

Haven't tried them as yet Manda, may have to look out for them )t'
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

julie62 wrote:There's def a lot more about due to the damp weather - my legs look awful - went to the physio yesterday and was embarrassed - I look like a flea bitten old hag with all the gnat bites!! I've not heard of the electronic clickers before - must look into that.

Horrible dastardly things aren't they Julie, hope you got on okay at the physio :-D
Bev x

manda

Post by manda »

julie62 wrote:There's def a lot more about due to the damp weather - my legs look awful - went to the physio yesterday and was embarrassed - I look like a flea bitten old hag with all the gnat bites!! I've not heard of the electronic clickers before - must look into that.

Here
Here
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I find germoline works best for itching )t'

I had one bite about two months ago on the back of my leg, it left a big, swollen, red and blue kind of bruise which was quite painful. I still have a mark )gr:
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I tend to be a bit of a magnet to biting insects unlike Mrs Fab, who I think either has bitter blood or non at all :-D

I get bit just running home from work if I go through the local woods.

Also, at the weekend, I was out cutting my hawthorn hedge a picked up a few wasps bites as I disturbed an area where they are nesting. I am not worried about them particularly and wouldn't destroy the nest as although they can be pets on the whole they do more good than harm. Will leave that part of the hedge till winter and cut it back then.
Michael
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I go for tea tree oil on insect bites. Last couple of years we have had some of those really nasty ones that develop into a red patch about 3" across! Hit them with the tea tree as soon as you notice them and it stops them in their tracks.