Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Aching Joints

Post by Benny&Co »

Sorry to hear of all your aches and pains Bev and everyone else too {hug}

It's horrible isn't it, really debilitating at times {cry}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
oldpenny
Learner Laner

Post by oldpenny »

You have my sympathy; I suffer with Ankylosing spondylitis & rheumatoid arthritis and had to retire from work at the age of 55, and now 4 years later I take handful of various pills each day to stop it getting worse; I find that getting focused on my hobby helps me to forget the pain and get through the day. Thank heavens for “Mrs Oldpenny” for getting my tablets and a glass of water ready and reminding me when I need to take them, what would I do without her? )b( (But don’t tell her I said so)
a penny for my thoughts
http://www.slotmachines.bravehost.com
PLEASE SIGN OUR PETITION....we need your help here...
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/36659
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Sorry to hear about your aches and pains Stace {cry}

A few thoughts. Have you thought about taking extra vitamin D. Do some research on the web or look on Amazon, they have a few books on the subject. It is almost certain that every one living in our latitudes does not get enough vitamin D. Severe deficiency causes rickets but even in less severe cases people suffer from joint pain. Some people have seemed to be crippled by arthritis but turned out to be vitamin D deficient. Might be worth a shot.

Cholesterol lowering dr-ugs - statins. These do seem to have the side effect of muscle pain in a lot of people. My mom who is 77 has been on them for several years now and has gone from being fit and active to almost immobile. There appears to be no obvious cause but she struggles just to get into the back garden. I have heard of similar cases where statins seem to be at the root of non specific muscle pain and loss of mobility.

I am no medic, so don't put too much store by my comments; we all have to work out what is best for ourselves but it may give you a couple of areas to think about.
Michael
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Thank you for all your suggestions )t'

I went to the Dr last thursday just before going to france. He told me to stop taking the Statins for the moment, and i have blood tests next wed, sugar, thyroid, etc. I must say since stopping them, the aches and pains have gotten much better. He looked and my knees and hands and does think this is Rheumatoid arthritis (i googled that spelling lol)

So we will wait and see, but although i have a stinking cough/cold, my joints are feeling alot better

Thank you Laners {hug}
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Glad you're feeling a bit better Stace - wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy - I'm off to the physio this week to see if they can help with my knee )t'
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Good luck Julie, hope it helps you {hug&kiss}
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Sorry to hear of your aches Stace and I do hope you find some relief for it all soon. Interesting thread as I was just looking to see if anyone else had aching joints :?

My joints, touch wood, seem to be okay, however Keith my OH has been suffering with really bad knee pain for the last year, if not longer. After being told some time ago by the consultant that he had a torn cartilage he was told last week that the results of his recent MRI show that he has arthritis of the knee and it's worn the bone away so much that he will need either a new knee or a partial replacement. However as he is only 60 and a new knee would only last 15yrs he isn't too keen on having it done.

For some reason most people I know who've had knee replacements seem to regret having it done, although I have no idea why the success rate is so low.

As OH has a job that entails standing up all day long we also worry about his ability to carry on working whether he decides to have surgery or not and have been seriously thinking about downsizing our house so that he could maybe think about retiring early or at least not working full time.
Lyn

Post by tosca100 »

Glad you're feeling better Stace. I really sympathise with anyone who has arthritis, and wish I could turn the clock back and be more sympathetic towards my late parents, Mum had osteo, Dad had rheumatoid. Not much hope for me really!

Anyway, after getting swellings and pain in knees and hips, I went to the doctor about 7 years ago. I detest doctors and avoid them if I possibly can. Was sent for x-rays to confirm osteoarthritis and given pills.

Should say at this point, I had started with the menopause too. Doc gave medication for the pain which made me short tempered and aggressive and I nearly lost my job. I was in catering at the time which was bad on all fronts. Changed medication which helped hugely, but Doc said I couldn't have them long term as could lead to heart problems. His solution was to lose weight. I admit I had put on weight, with the menopause, losing my horse Tosca (exercise) and giving up smoking it was inevitable. More exercise was getting impossible, I spend eight hours a day walking constantly, and am crippled when I finish the day, though I take the dogs to the field for a run and play and deal with the new horse ok after a rest. He made me feel so small I never went back.

So I am my own worst enemy. It is only because I am stubborn and I have animals to care for that I can't let it beat me. I will have to go to a Doctor again, but will have to change, with all the hassle that creates. Meanwhile, I find a stick really helps....as long as I haven't got two large dogs in one hand! And the horse is scared of sticks....

I also worry, like others, that this will be it for the rest of my life, but we are making changes, hopefully, which will see stress levels lessen for both of us, and positive exercise essential in day to day existence. We are determined to have a better quality of life which will make us feel better about most things. Watch this space!

Meanwhile I will continue to buy paracetamol and ibuprofen every time I do any shopping! And keep smiling............Image
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Just sending you all a hug {hug} and wishing you all well
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Thank you for all the reply's {hug} I have to go to the dr's tomorrow for the blood test results. Will let you know how it goes )t'
Bev xx

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Mercedes wrote:
For some reason most people I know who've had knee replacements seem to regret having it done, although I have no idea why the success rate is so low.

As OH has a job that entails standing up all day long we also worry about his ability to carry on working whether he decides to have surgery or not and have been seriously thinking about downsizing our house so that he could maybe think about retiring early or at least not working full time.

Just wanted to say my dad had his first knee replacement when he was 61 and it was fantastic, he's since had the other one done twice and is going back for a redo of his first one soon, he's 77 and still goes out walking 3 miles several times a week.
Hope your OH gets on ok Lyn, the other Lyn (Ashkali) had a knee replacement earlier this year, wonder how she's getting on with hers {hug}

Sending a {hug} to all those with aches and pains
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Mercedes wrote:
he was told last week that the results of his recent MRI show that he has arthritis of the knee and it's worn the bone away so much that he will need either a new knee or a partial replacement. However as he is only 60 and a new knee would only last 15yrs he isn't too keen on having it done.

Hi Lyn. I had a total knee replacement just under 4 months ago and am very pleased with it :-D I can walk so much better now, have no pain and very good movement and flexibility. I need the other one replaced too and hope to get it done eventually. I'm not quite 60 yet and am hoping my knee will last a bit longer than 15 years! I think this is probably an average figure. To me it was worth it to be able to walk pain free (in that knee anyway). I've got a much better quality of life now and don't regret having it done.
LYN
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Awww big {hug} {hug} {hug} from me to you all {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

aishakali wrote:
Mercedes wrote:
he was told last week that the results of his recent MRI show that he has arthritis of the knee and it's worn the bone away so much that he will need either a new knee or a partial replacement. However as he is only 60 and a new knee would only last 15yrs he isn't too keen on having it done.

Hi Lyn. I had a total knee replacement just under 4 months ago and am very pleased with it :-D I can walk so much better now, have no pain and very good movement and flexibility. I need the other one replaced too and hope to get it done eventually. I'm not quite 60 yet and am hoping my knee will last a bit longer than 15 years! I think this is probably an average figure. To me it was worth it to be able to walk pain free (in that knee anyway). I've got a much better quality of life now and don't regret having it done.

Great news Lyn {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

MissEllie wrote:
Great news Lyn {hug}

Thanks Ellie, and thanks for your encouragement and advise {hug}
LYN