Condensation on chick run roof.

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Condensation on chick run roof.

Post by Annie »

Eck has covered the chick run with the corrugated plastic roofing and we were hoping this would keep the run pretty much dry but this morning when I let the mums and chicks out, it was squelchy underfoot and when I looked up the roof appeared to be full of condensation. The run has a solid wall at the back (neighbours lean to garage with a bit of fence on our side), to one side it is weldmesh panels with tarpaulin covering 2/3rds as the wind seems to blow this way and I thought the tarp would keep the draught out to an extent for the chicks and the other two sides are slatted fencing. I thought the air would circulate enough to stop the condensation forming, bit miffed really as Eck worked hard to get this done for me last week. I have piled more dry bedding in for the chicks to play and kick about in , apart from taking a towel and wiping the roof down each day anyone got any hints ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mrs B

Re: Condensation on chick run roof.

Post by Mrs B »

Sorry no advice but my polywotsit roof is on batons which presumably allows the air to circulate.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Mrs B wrote:Sorry no advice but my polywotsit roof is on batons which presumably allows the air to circulate.

Yes Mrs B so is this one and it has lots of air circulating - maybe the ground was just wet to start with. Hoped one of the chaps would read and comment but they are too busy with trucks and bikes and bikes that go brum brum
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Hmm. Boys and their toys. What can you do >shrug<
Sorry, not much help Annie. Like you said could be the ground was damp to start with, rising damp :?
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

sazchops wrote:Hmm. Boys and their toys. What can you do >shrug<
Sorry, not much help Annie. Like you said could be the ground was damp to start with, rising damp :?

Saz , wasn't that one of the funniest sit coms - used to love Leonard Rossiter
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

oh annie, this is what im dreading! Ive just covered mine today with a big piece of plastic because the birds where getting drenched and the ground under foot muddy, i didnt even think of condensation!! I hope you get some good tips (then i can steal them) xx
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Annie wrote:Saz , wasn't that one of the funniest sit coms

No I just wanted to strip all stained woodwork down and scrub every surface ... I can't watch The Royle Family either

Could be the combination of wet ground and the wall trapping the wet maybe?
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Great Mrs B , I will go next door with a sledge hammer and knock down the lean to wall - the wee oick has made it into a garage without permission anyway, he is the lad that drove us all insane revving motorbikes and then cars and back to bikes up for hours on end.

Mr Rigsby gave me the creeps but I still thought it funny - can you imagine being stuck in a room with that old letch ?
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi Annie, if you have good air circulation etc, then perhaps the ground being really wet is causing the condensation!, how about covering/scattering the floor of the run with a bale of straw to help soak up some of the wet!.
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Annie wrote:Great Mrs B , I will go next door with a sledge hammer and knock down the lean to wall - the wee oick has made it into a garage without permission anyway, he is the lad that drove us all insane revving motorbikes and then cars and back to bikes up for hours on end.

Mr Rigsby gave me the creeps but I still thought it funny - can you imagine being stuck in a room with that old letch ?

Kill the Oick, push the wall on top of him so you can get rid of him and his wall. Re Rigsby one day when I am very drunk i shall tell you about my brief dabble in the dating world and some of the weirdos I met ... Beerless was one of them
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Problem there Silverback is the run is for the wee chicks , 4 weeks old, they still have little legs and I think the straw may be a bit much for them yet, I will just keep throwing aubiose in for now - thats getting a bit expensive though .
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

What about putting some sharp sand down & letting them scratch it in?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:What about putting some sharp sand down & letting them scratch it in?

Thats funny LBF, I just put a little dust bath with sharp sand in for them today and they thought it was for eating {rofwl} , still learning I guess
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Annie ..I hate to tell you this but my run is open to 4 sides and I still get condensation on the underside of the plastic roof }hairout{ .. After 4 yrs I've given up trying to find a solution ..so I really hope someone can come up with an answer for you. >fi<

and me!!! +f+
fabdavee
Learner Laner

Post by fabdavee »

My run has a plastic roof and is sheltered on three sides with more plastic sheeting, When positioning the roof I made sure that the slope was enough for a good run off, then fixed it in position. Thats why roofs are sometimes so steep. That way water above or below in condensation will flow the way the slope goes to outside the run. The ground may be boggy or very wet due to poor drainage from the building next door. So consider digging trenches about a spade deep and a spade wide, across the run to connect to a similar outside the fence only deeper, fill 2/3rds with pea shingle from Wickes the length of the trench and drainage pit outside the run.Then fill with a mixture of sharp sand and the earth you dug out of the run to the ground level. This will give the ground inside your run somewhere for excess water to drain into.