'New' garden advice please.

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Re: 'New' garden advice please.

Post by Knikitta »

The second one looks a bit like the Japanese Maple, but I could be completely wrong!
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
mandaloon
Lively Laner

Post by mandaloon »

dont think its a californian poppy, the leaves in the background suggest that it's more the normal type, nice colour... if you want to keep it, collect the seeds and make sure the bed gets dug over before you sprinkle them basck on... the seeds wont germinate unless the soil has been disturbed.

next.. could be a gooseberry

The leaf is definatly an Acer / japanese maple

The flower... is it a climber? the leaves behind look like a clematis but I dont recognise the flower. it looks almost like a fushia

as for the grass stuff..... definatly get it gone there are so many other intresting things you could put in it's place

I think you have been given some excellent advice already... live with it a year to see what you got. spend that year working out whats north facing, south facing, what sort of soil you've got. This is really important! you dont want to spend money on plants that wont grow in your soil, azaleas, carnations and some heathers can be fussy about their soil.. does the garden drain properly all this takes a year and dont be afraid to make changes. my last house, the previous owner had planted a yucca by the front door... looked nice BUT the spines on the tips of the leaves were leathal!!! I had visons of someone stumbling up the path in the dark and falling on to it and loosing an eye... pretty or not.. it went!
I went and got a good gardening encyclopedia from a charity shop for a couple of quid and then trawled the net for further inspiration I actually keep a book which I write down all my ideas over the winter months posible colour combinations, spring bulbs that I like, course you dont know whats there already, you have that surprise to come )grin2(
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Thank you :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

California poppy
Gooseberry
Acer palmatum
Crinodendron hookerianum

Digging out is the best way to get rid of the rush/grass as weedkillers just run off the shiny leaves.

Looks like a lot of lovely plants and garden.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Thank you :-D That's really helpful. I've taken out one large clump already, and am trying to keep on top of the 'babies' by pulling out half a dozen every time I go up to the compost bin! I might have to bribe my friend to come & spend a day digging for me - I wonder how many biscuits I'd need to make him :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I like this thread. We're just coming to terms with our new garden. It was completely overgrown, but had a few nice things in it. However, so far we've got rid of huge amounts of something like ornamental rhubarb, some of that spikey grass stuff from the picture, three dead trees (useful for the stove) and LOADS of odd stones and half bricks.

We have a lot of mushrooms growing in the garden. I daren't eat them but they are multiplying by the day. How does one get rid of mushrooms?

I'm just hoping to tidy things up, cut back the budlea when it has finished flowering and try to dig an area to overwinter before becoming a veg patch.

Looks like we're all in for interesting times.

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.