Weatherproofing a wooden roof

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Rusty
Learner Laner

Weatherproofing a wooden roof

Post by Rusty »

I am just converting a shed to a hen house but have read that you shouldn't use roofing felt as mites breed under it. Any suggestions how to waterproof the wooden roof please?
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Re: Weatherproofing a wooden roof

Post by sazchops »

Hi Rusty and Welcome )wav(
My coup has an Onduline roof. It is strong and waterproof whilst allowing for ventilation. I've never had a problem with mites so highly recommend it.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Morning Rusty,
Greetings and welcome to The Lane.
What sort of wooden roof is it? Chipboard, ply, feather edge, shiplap?
If chipboard I'd forget that and use something else as it's a nightmare to treat for long term use and it is full of gaps red mite can live in.
If ply you could try several good coats of gloss but I've found it still doesn't last long, 2-3 years, for roofing.
If feather edge, as long as the roof slope isn't too shallow you could use modern creosote or if you want a bit of colour a garden shades type paint but it will be able to harbour red mite etc in the overlaps.
If shiplap a good exterior gloss which should protect it and reduce hidey holes for mites. For extra peace of mind gloss the inside as well.
If it is the first two I'd forget it and choose another material something like Onduline corrugated bitumen sheets. All you'd need to do is put in some joists lengthways sticking out about 2" past the shed sides. I've done this on two of our coops and it gives good ventilation and cuts down hidey holes.
Hope that's some help.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Rusty
Learner Laner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks for the suggestions. The roof is Tongue and Groove so think it might be ok with a good gloss paint as you say, Totally Scrambled. Might resort to onduline but would prefer wood if it's possible. Will post in a year or two if paint's no good!!!!!