Redoak's off-grid life.

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Re: Redoak's off-grid life.

Post by Americanlady »

Hi, Redoak. How are you. It's been a while since we heard from you. I imagine you are busy winterizing your plants. Do you live in your self-built cabin all winter. If so, how are you heating it? Interested in how you are managing off the grid during the cold months.
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

Hi Americanlady, thanks for your interest. I seem to have been extra busy this year but considering that we've had very difficult weather, it's gone fairly well overall.
I'm still selling quite a good selection of produce although it is slowing down somewhat now.
Yes, I was here all of last winter and expect to do the same this year. It's quite well insulated and small so doesn't take much heat to warm it up. At the moment I just use a LPG gas cabinet heater. I normally only need it on the lowest setting and unless it's very cold, not usually burning for long at a time.
I'd love a woodstove but it's not possible at the moment.
Off to a carboot sale with my produce, plants and cut flowers in the morning.

Marc
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Good to read your post Marc. Hope that you keep warm and well in the coming chilly months.
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

Thank you Spreckly. :-D

I just had the best morning sale this year. I took over £150, entirely from things I've grown myself.

Marc
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

)c( fantastic! well done.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Good mornings trading then Marc, Still loving to read your posts, wishing you well and stay warm and well.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Any more to tell us Marc? I arrived late at this post, and only found it a few days ago. We too have a bit of a project i.e. several very high, cold, wet and soggy acres with cottage to renovate, but haven't made a fraction of the progress that you have and you made me feel very humble (or bone idle, as we pronounce it). Hope all well with you and that you continue to prosper.
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

It's amazing how exciting something is when you haven't had it for ages (no, not that, it's just your dirty minds) )grin2(

I've got a kitchen sink :-D - it's been 7 years since. Had to manage with a bowl and a bucket all this time. Not a great problem really, when you get used to it, but not the same as the real thing lol

Anyway, I dug a soakaway yesterday and connected it up. Got the sink and unit off freecycle a few weeks ago. It was lovely to be able to wash my hair without splashes everywhere.
Now I need to arrange a shower :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

Happy Sink times )t'

Nothing like you but we had a kitchen with a bowl and tap for two years until we could afford a kitchen, I did have a good system going but it was great to have a sink, I think I looked at it for 2 days solid )t'
manda

Post by manda »

A sink )c( )c(
Happy New Year Redoak....{hug} {hug&kiss}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

congratulations Redoak !! )c( :-D
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Enjoy your new sink redoak, free cycle is great! :-D . Wishing you a very prosperous new year, looking forward to hearing more about your off grid life )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Enjoy your new sink )t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Keeping up with your projects is really educational, Redoak. I admire the many ways you come up with to solve your problems. You should write a book, you know. I sure would buy it, as would many others.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

A real sink - Wow! Enjoy!
Yes, it's interesting, isn't it, how little we really need (you especially!) when we get down to it, and how much we take stuff for granted and lose track of what is important in life.
I really love your posts, and look forward to reading about your progress in 2013.
The book is an interesting idea - perhaps a tv show too? If Kevin McC can do it, why not Redoak?
Hope it's a happy, healthy and productive year for you.