hot smokers

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

hot smokers

Post by mrs boodles »

Don`t know if anyone saw programme the other night with HFW making a hot smoker from a retro bread bin. Would like to make one but those bins are expensive, (have had a look on internet) so can anyone give me an idea of what else I could use that would be a bit frugal, it would sit on the barbie to use, the fish he did in it looked sooooooo good.
saint-spoon

Re: hot smokers

Post by saint-spoon »

I've not watched it yet; I have recorded it for later consumption. Funnily enough I am looking to make myself one of these (and have been for years, ever since I used to watch Rex Hunt's fishing adventures on discovery) and a friend has one that his father made some years ago which we are going to use a pattern.
Bah Humbug
manda

Post by manda »

You can use a biscuit tin or something like that with a lid on (if not use tin foil) or a couple of large plant pots that you invert one to make a lid...you'll need to have air holes in the bottom (which the plant pots already have...you need a metal dish for the wood shavings and a rack to sit the food on.

We have this one (very popular in NZ..don't know if you can get them i the UK)

I would say if you are going to do it this way re the wood shavings..less if definitely better....we do a trout in about 35 minutes or so.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

looks simple enough to make. A mate of mine had one he made from a cheap stock pot he picked up for a couple of quid, I can't remeber what he used for a rack but it might have been a grill stand from a microwvae oven or somthing. An old lidded skillet or large sauce pan with a baking rack cut to fit would probably be a good smoker but I would avoid non-stick coatings.

I am sure that I have seen a wok used to smoke food before, If I remember correctly the shavings were put on a piece of foil to stop them damaging the wok. It might have been Ken Hom who demonstrated this technique.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

oh and amie Oliver made one out of a metal bucket and used bamboo scewers to support the food.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Just had a thought, Preachy has got lots of bits of pressure cookers, they would make ideal hot smoker bits one would think.
Bah Humbug
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Thanks for the ideas folks, Manda, they sell them like this on internet for about £26. Can`t ask Perchy for a bit of pressure cooker as she might find other bits of hers and be able to make a whole one.
The mackeral HFW cooked on his this week looked so appetising, itching to have a go.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Think we might have it sorted. Hubby went on army surplus catering web site and has ordered a large pot with lid, resonable price and should be here soon.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Hubby made the hot smoker this afternoon, he bought an ex army catering saucepan and did the same as HFW demonstrated with a bread bin. Now we have to get wood chips for it and then away we go. well pleased with it.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Well done Mr Boodles, bet you cant wait to try it out Mrs B :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
manda

Post by manda »

Have you had your hot smoker going yet Mrs Boodles?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny