Snake Pain Killers

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
saint-spoon

Snake Pain Killers

Post by saint-spoon »

I was reading about the development of a pain killer that is a potent as the opiates but without the horrid side effects such as addiction... and it's made from snake venom, black mamba venom to be more precise...

article here
Bah Humbug
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Snake Pain Killers

Post by MissEllie »

Looks interesting, opioids are well known for having some nasty side effects so any new alternative would be very well received.
Having said that many people can tolerate Morphine etc without any major problems and also it has been scientifically proven that you cannot become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for real pain, a body can develop a physical dependance but this doesn't usually cause problems if doses are reduced appropriately.
Sorry for the pain medicine lecture :oops:
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

One thing to consider as well is that as opioids are made from plants so they are relatively easy to grow and extract what you want in large quantities, how many snakes would have to be milked in order to get enough of the relative compound to make it a viable pain relief product… could be an interesting job, mamba-milker or mamba-venom-extraction-technician.
Bah Humbug
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Very good point.
Even with a thick pair of gloves and a good pension I wouldn't fancy that job! {rofwl}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

So, if you're writhing in agony take something that would normally leave you writhing in agony )t'
Makes sense to use the venom from just about the only snake that will chase a human. Saves having to go and find one.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Totally Scrambled wrote:So, if you're writhing in agony take something that would normally leave you writhing in agony )t'
Makes sense to use the venom from just about the only snake that will chase a human. Saves having to go and find one.
Dom

I did think that when I was wondering about who was going to milk them. they are nasty bits of kit who wil chase you down and they can shift faster than Ussian Bolt by quite a margin.
Bah Humbug
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Totally Scrambled wrote:So, if you're writhing in agony take something that would normally leave you writhing in agony )t'
Dom

Sounds like Homoeopathy to me! A fudamental principle is "Like cures like".
I know many are sniffy about homoeopathy, but I've personal experience of it working. I have a scientific background, and no idea how/why it works but I think it does.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

If you read the article rhubarb, scientists have found a compound in the venom that has pain relief properties; not really homeopathy. Nothing against homeopathy, it probably works and I know loads of folk who swear by it.
Bah Humbug