Lots of conifers dying........why?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Lots of conifers dying........why?

Post by Gwenoakes »

I very seldom come on this part of the forum. :oops:

I have noticed that there are an awful lot of confers dying and have heard that it is due to the huge amount of rain we have had, reserrecting (sp) an old disease. Is that true, does anyone know?
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Re: Lots of conifers dying........why?

Post by bluebell »

At the side of the paddock, which backs onto my allotment a number of trees have died and this has been due to the amount of water which has flooded the area. I don't know anything about a disease. Its all very sad, all the same {cry}
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm not a tree expert nor know anything about resurrected diseases, but from this RHS link to brown patches on conifers, it mentions:

Pestalotiopsis dieback

A fungus called Pestalotiopsis is occasionally associated with brown patches, and can be seen as tiny, black fruiting bodies scattered over the affected foliage. This fungus usually attacks weakened or damaged plants, but once present it can sometimes cause quite severe die-back. Pestalotiopsis is more likely to be a problem in wet summers.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks for that LL. )t'
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

A lot of conifers have been infested with cupressus aphid. This results in dead brown patches which will spread and eventually kill the whole plant or disfigure it so badly that it has to be removed. It is particularly bad on Leylandii hedges )t' but unfortunately mostly on the well trimmed ones not the overgrown type.

The aphid are very difficult to spot as they have usually moved on before the patches go brown.

On other conifers I have successfully treated the infestations with a general insecticide and the plants have recovered but with leylandii hedges there is no regrowth from the dead patches and the pest is almost impossible to eradicate.

Also worrying at present is the new threat to Ash trees from an imported untreatable disease.

On the plus side the leaf miner that has been turning the Conker trees brown recently is now being countered by encouraging blue tits to nest in the trees.

It's a never ending battle with new pests and diseases at the moment!
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!