Anyone interested in Meditating?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Anyone interested in Meditating?

Post by rhubarb93 »

I know meditation brings all sorts of health and wellbeing benefits, but have tried several times and always given up after a bit.
Just come across a new website called Headspace. You can sign up for 10 days free to try it, then if you like it it costs less than a fiver a month to join for a year. You get a personalised guided meditation each day, which really helps motivation. There are also blogs and a forum to share experiences, and you can e-mail for help at any time if you get stuck.
I really like it!
It also helps that because it is on the PC I'm doing it in the morning, when I am more alert (used to try and do it at bedtime), and my office chair turns out to be the perfect comfortable seating so I don't get distracted by being uncomfortable and fidgeting.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone tries it and what you think of it.
Sara

Re: Anyone interested in Meditating?

Post by Sara »

I often meditate.... It does really help to empty your head and re-centre yourself... )t'

Ive never heard of doing it on the internet though.... :-D
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Yes I do but i do it on my own, im glad your enjoying it i dont do it everyday but i do feel more relaxed when i do. Iv been doing it on and of for about 20 yrs and once you get the hang of it you can have a quick few minutes when needed or longer )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I used to meditate on a regular basis but let it go when OH retired. I can never seem to find a quiet time on my own, or in fact my own space which I was taught you should have.
I used the method where in your head, you make your own room and personalise it as somewhere where you can feel at peace and comfortable. Just sit for a few times and do this until you can go straight there. It then becomes easier to sit in the quiet while sitting in your imagined room and just relax. It is very uplifting and does give you a sense of wellbeing.
I'm not quite sure how it would work via the internet. I would personally look for a good book which should be available from your library or somewhere like Amazon. You really shouldn't need to spend regular money for advice.
Good luck anyway )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

It's not that I don't know how, I've tried several different "flavours", but never seem to keep it up. I'm just using this to get me into the habit of doing it daily and keeping it going (ie motivation). If I get fed up with it during the first month, there is a 1 month money-back guarantee, but it's not a huge amount for the year.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

It sounds interesting, but I'm not sure that using the computer would equate with relaxing for me personally.
I'd like to try some guided meditation CDs - any recommendations?
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I'm often to be found sitting on a certain tree stump down in the wood close by. I get a lot from just listening and watching.
I'm the same at the sea.

The only staff to arrive before me at Cricket are the Ground Staff and they often catch a glimpse of me doing Tai Chi on the Players Balcony. Get some ribbing, but don't care, at least they respect me doing it and don't interupt - it afterwards I get called the Karate Kid, the Dragon and Bruce etc!!!

I have silly blood pressure at the moment and seeing my Doctor three times this week, for that and something else, so I've started Tai Chi again at home every morning.

Richard

PS. I do self hypnosis as well
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Richard wrote:I'm often to be found sitting on a certain tree stump down in the wood close by. I get a lot from just listening and watching.
I'm the same at the sea.

Richard

PS. I do self hypnosis as well

This a form of meditating. Don't you just feel such a sense of peace and contentment when sitting quietly.
I hope the blood pressure problem is soon sorted Richard )t' Blood pressure is one of those things that becomes a worry and the fact that you worry keeps it higher than is considered normal.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Sunny B wrote:It sounds interesting, but I'm not sure that using the computer would equate with relaxing for me personally.
I'd like to try some guided meditation CDs - any recommendations?

I've tried a guided meditation cd, one recommended in reviews, but found it unhelpful. If you pm me with your address, Sunny, I'd be happy to post it to you. You never know, it might be right for you.
Meanwhile, I am still enjoying my internet site. I asked to be advanced a bit as I am not a beginner and found the early sessions not long enough. I'm finding the motivation to do a session daily really helpful, and like the fact that each session is slightly different, focusing on a different aspect so I don't get bored but feel I am making steady progress.
I wouldn't expect to use it forever, but if I can use it to establish a regular habit that will be great.
I'd say the free trial is worth a go for anyone interested - after all, what have you got to lose? There's no compulsion to sign up if it doesn't work for you. Relaxation is one aspect of meditation, but there is so much more to it.