For those of us with high blood pressure

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

For those of us with high blood pressure

Post by fabindia »

Any tips to share about natural ways of keeping it under control? I see Richard suffers from it too. I am sure Richard and I are much a like, I am extremely fit, I run 7 or 8 miles five days a week, I don't smoke or over due alcohol (well not too much), eat well and, if anything, am under weight.

I am determined to stay off medication for as long as I can as my mother's health seems to have been ruined by beta blockers, statins and other dr-ugs that are supposed to improve cardio vascular health not destroy it.
Michael
wendy

Re: For those of us with high blood pressure

Post by wendy »

No Natrual remedies I am afraid.
I have had it since I was 35 and I am now 68. I think it is hereditary. As all my siblings and one of my children are affected as well.
I have been on diuretics all the time and no problems. I would be wary of beta blockers, I have to say.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

My mother had it, my brother had it and my son has it, so think it may well have hereditary tendencies. I have had it for a few years now and am on 1 tablet with no side effects and have just started statins for high cholesterol a couple of months ago and have to say that I have not suffered side effects from either. Have found that losing weight has helped dropped my blood pressure and my cholesterol has halved with the statins,
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I was put onto blood pressure medication after visit to my GP. Four different tabs later and feeling really ill I had an 11hr episode of atrial fibrillation. A fast irregular heartbeat can be a side effect of some dr-ugs. Now have to have medication for this always and after coming off the blood pressure drug, my pressure at home is normal. It has been decided that I suffer from 'White coat syndrome' as it is always up when visiting hospitals and the GP. Once I have had it taken once it goes back to normal.
I was tried on medication a second time by the heart consultant, but ended back in A&E twice in one week with very frightening fast and rapid heartbeats, which lasted for hours.
As for statins, OH was put on them after heart surgery and was almost disabled with muscle pain so no longer takes them. This does stop very soon after stopping the drug.
I do know that lots of people do suffer with blood pressure and suffer no side effects from the neccessary medication if they really do have it. Unfortunately there are also people like me who will suffer the side effects of dr-ugs not needed, for their lifetime. I would absolutely recommend buying a blood pressure moniter yourselves for home use, to check if it is always high. Just ask around and you will be surprised how many people's pressure goes up in medical conditions.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Dear oh dear June,
This is problem with dr-ugs isn't it.
OH suffers from the white cost syndrome. I was really ill before they realised mine was HBP.
I hope you are both OK now.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Hi folks.

I had a high blood pressure problem a few months ago, but was lucky it was caused by an excess of caffiene.

Since I don't drink coffee, the cola had to go. Also most sparkling drinks contain it so now I stick to fruit squash's that don't contain sacharine or aspertaime as they cause problems as well. Sainsbury's own is the answer, not Robinsons as that brand is full of the chemical sweeteners. For the same reason :-

Diet drinks are out! )t'

Took about two months to reduce it to a reasonable an acceptable level, but had a problem with the nurse. She's so pretty and delightful, my blood pressure was all over the place and hard to monitor. :oops:

Red blood rules OK! {warn} )run(

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
manda

Post by manda »

Apple Cider vinegar (with the mother in it) ...1 tablespoon 3x a day is apparently a really quick way to reduce blood pressure. You can mix it with water if it's too much to drink on it's own. You might add a bit of Sodium Bicarb in it (your body might need a bit extra because of the acidic properties of the vinegar). I don't have high blood pressure but I've read this when I was reading about ACV.

The other quick way is Cayenne pepper but I don't know amounts but you make a tea.

Obviously keeping in contact with your medics is the primary thing though. I would discuss trying things like this with them...so they can monitor you and see if it's working or have some way you can monitor things to make sure it's working.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

My Dad also swears that he feels better without the meds. His problems were sorted out by clearing his artery through surgery, but the dietary advice is to cut down alcohol, caffeine & trans fats, increase the good cholesterols (fish oils etc) in order to slow the effects, and to also eat oats and the cholesterol-reducing commercial dairy products in order to counteract. Have you tried meditating and/or yoga? Or bio-feedback? Or a stress diary (identify triggers and tackle them). All of these have been shown to help many people regulate their BP. Taking exercise before a meal recently suggested to lower fat uptake from the food. Hope you stay fit & well.