Shower cleaning advice, please

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Shower cleaning advice, please

Post by Freeranger »

Hi all,

Could anyone please advise on cleaning shower grouting and killing mould/removing mould stains? Thanks.
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Re: Shower cleaning advice, please

Post by tortzblue »

Not eco friendly at all but I use bleach and an old tooth brush. yike* I would like a better option though if anyone knows of one.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Vinegar kills mould - the clear sort
We also used a special anti mould paint for our bathroom ceiling but it ended up covered
In dead flies (must be very toxic!) which looks nearly as horrid as the mould. we'll
Stick to vinegar next time.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Bleach will eventually dry out the grout and turn it yellow, try a cheap white toothpaste just do a couple of squares to see it it works.

Dettol do a mould remover which is still a bleach but it is pretty good
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Just a thought (ie not tested!) - what about lemon juice?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Thought i'd read about bicarb so had a google and found this:

" Bicarb mixed with water to a paste and use that to scrub stuff ( the bicarb helps get off dirt and grime) using a cloth or a scrubbing brush depending on the job. Use an old toothbrush with bicarb paste for grouting.

Then wash down with vinegar ( and let it froth) and scrub WHILE it froths on stubborn bits.

Use clove oil spray to kill mold spores in shower ( mix 1/2 teaspoon of clove oil to 1 litre of water in spray bottle) "

I'd never heard of using clove oil.....
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks folks. Still pondering where in this very traditional area I might find anything so exotic as clove oil...a chemist perhaps? (Not THAT traditional - we do have chemists)
Will certainly try it when I track some down so thanks for the tip, Willow, and for always being so wise and helpful. The paint sounds eco-questionnable, but since we have a real midge problem here I might even buy some and kill two birds with one stone.

In the interest of science and being a sad individual, I tried three squares. The control - old (and safely quarantined) toothbrush only; patch 1 - bicarb and vinegar; patch 2 - toothpaste & vinegar. For full disclosure I should reveal an accidental false start with cream of tartar and the fact that I only had malt vinegar to hand....

The result? Round 1 to the grouting! Very little difference in any test. But the tiles all look wonderful!! Best of all was the toothpaste & vinegar, which gleams and dazzles. I've been looking at it from all angles like an artist at an easel, and it is magnificent - even to me as a normally unhouseproud individual. I'm so proud!!

I think bicarb would be good for early interventions and wins eco-points. I'll try lemon juice when I have some, and would be grateful for any other hints }hairout{
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Apologies to all. Repeated with a nail brush this worked really well, and the clove solution seems to be working still. Smells lovely & fresh.