Kitty Litter

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Kitty Litter

Post by echelon »

For those of you with cats.

The Basics range cat litter from Sainsbury's is better than the expensive stuff I had to buy at the vet's store (due to running out accidently). It costs about £1.40. Give it a go. Other supermarkets probably do their own range of kitty litter as well.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

My Cat is 17 he hates going out at night now winter is here!

I usually buy Son Of Morris or Wilkos, but ran out so...

I put easiebed in his tray, works fine and he seems to like it ok

I wont bother with the litter in future as i buy Easiebed for the chooks, so have plenty around all the time!

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Where do you buy easi-bed from? Is it for chicken bedding instead of straw?
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Countrywide

Easiebed

Have a look there

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Thanks for that )t'
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Mine have been 'going' outside all summer thanks to this years addition - cat flap!!! (best thing we've done)
I found that the compressed wood pellets cut out all the smell and lasted ages, but isnt cheap..
What sort of cat litter is it Echelon??
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

The non-clumping granule type. One litter tray full generally lasts 24 hours for my kitten, who's not allowed out yet. This new stuff has only lasted overnight and it's smelly as well :? I'd say that the Basics stuff is as good as the Catsan which I used to buy.
manda

Post by manda »

I have only just had to get a litter tray as my girls had to stay in and then produced her 4 babies who of course have to stay in at the moment. Started off using the supermarkets own but the last couple of times got some crystals which are ok if the littlies eat them and they really absorb the smells. They are more expensive and to be fair choice is more limited here.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Badger_Lady
Lively Laner

Post by Badger_Lady »

I've had to abandon the litter tray because no matter how much money I spent on it it always stank! I can't figure out how to fit the catflap I bought, so cat has had to get himself into a toileting regime and gets let out every morning at 6am, evening at 5pm and again at 11pm.

One thing I never did try, though - real earth?? Surely it's naturally equipped to cover smells etc, and is available for free in the garden...
elljay
Lively Laner

Post by elljay »

The problem is that with earth you get dirty footprints everywhere, - I've tried it - at least cat litter is easy to pick up if it gets carried around the floor.

The non-clumping wood pellets are definitely the best, although they cost more they last ages - as long as you take out smelly bits each day you don't need to refill tray for much longer than the clay type. and the tray itself is much easier to wash out too. The clay type stinks!

Cat flaps are the way to go, unless you live near a road or other danger. You could also try some of that litter deodorant that you can get in Wilkos.

What kind of catflap is yours Badger_lady? Can we help with how to fit it?
Liz
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Son of Morris cheapo clumping stuff in this house, £1 and a bit, scoop out lumps as soon as I see them, wash trays once a week, 3 litter trays in the hallway, can't smell anything.
)t'

Ilona
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

I use the recycled paper type, and find it really good.

I`m not getting through quite so much now Lilo-Lil is allowed out whilst I am at work. My other cats are a bit tubby, and dont like the feel of the wood pellet type but are fine with this.

I get mine from the horse supply place where I get the chicken pellets etc, and it is much cheaper. A 30 L bag costs £7 and lasts about 2 months. I scoop every day, and change it all once a week, or if it begins to pong.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Badger_Lady
Lively Laner

Post by Badger_Lady »

It's just one like this: http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/staywell ... 21133.html

I understand how to fit them, just not how to make a hole in the door! I've asked all my handy friends and none of them owns a jigsaw... if I bought one I'd never use it again...
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

Getting 2 kitties when we move house and hadn't thought about using easibed but as use it for ladies will try on kitties aswell till they are old enough to discover the big outdoors
:) Karen
battychick_kike
Legendary Laner

Post by battychick_kike »

Hiya, We had that style cat flap but my lot couldn't work the magnet! it seemed the magnet was too low for it to unlock! so we had to ditch the collar magnets and lock the flap to permanently open! it didn't take long for the cats to demolish that flap anyway so we bought a cheapy flap from Tesco.

As for cat litter, I get the clumping stuff from Pets @ home. Never noticed a stink from it, I clean it in the morning, and evening each day. Its only Jynx who uses it now, all the others go outside. I sometimes use litter fresh when I remember, but its mostly just to give a nice aroma. The type of litter box I have is a corner box with a flap so I think that helps contain any stenches from solid deposits during the day.

Taz

xxxx
[center]Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start.....[/center]

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk