Natural treatment for raised cholesterol

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Natural treatment for raised cholesterol

Post by Spreckly »

For the third time in about three years, I have had to go on statins. First time, arthritis really kicked in, and was hobbling around, second time started alalrming hair loss, this time, persuaded by diabatic nurse to have another go, so taking yet another pill at bedtime. Not a fan of medication, but being diabetic I have to give in occasionally.

My query is this, are any Laners on either homeopathic or herbal treatment for cholesterol levels, and if so are the results good? I have contacted a homeopathic firm today, but they cannot prescribe, and it will mean a hefty consultation fee, plus regular follow ups. A friend's husband is taking herbal remedy for a different complaint, and I notice that there is a remedy for raised cholesterol available, at £60+, which if it is no good is a lot of cash splashed.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Natural treatment for raised cholesterol

Post by mrs boodles »

No, sorry Spreckly I can`t help, I take simvastatin and it lowered my cholesterol dramatically, doctor has reduced it now and have to have a cholesterol test when getting a repeat prescription. I am lucky I have`nt had side effects and I am happy to follow my doctors advice as they have and are brilliant and I trust them completely. I would not feel comfortable taking herbal remedies for something like high cholesterol or blood pressure.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Mrs boodles, thank you for your reply.
wendy

Post by wendy »

OH is on sinvastatin as well.
After trying for over a year to lower it, by getting his weight down and plenty of excercise. He had to give in and take the tablets
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

A good start is to stop eating foods with high saturated fat.
You may find this NHS link helpful.
Certain vegetable spreads contain plant thingies which are claimed to help reduce cholesterol as part of a healthier lifestyle and balanced diet, it seems to have worked in part for my Dad.
Bah Humbug
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

My parents both have high cholesterol. My mum is on statins (not sure which one), has had no side effects but they haven't reduced the cholesterol by an enormous amount. My Dad refused to take the statins but has benecol spread, yoghurts, drinks... everything that they make and his levels have gone down hugely (although he has altered his diet too).

I never knew how high in cholesterol prawns were >dowhat<
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Gosh Spreckly, my reply comes across as quite sharp, I hope I have`nt offended you by it.
I am just very lucky with GPS, my cholesterol was very high and it has halved with the statins, plus 3stone weight loss and cutting down on fatty food, (I could mur.der for bread, lashings of butter and cream and all the yummy things though)my statins have been lowered because of the interaction with another medication I take, if cholesterol has gone up will have to change to another statin.
Apologies again. {hug}
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Mad Chick wrote:I never knew how high in cholesterol prawns were >dowhat<

From an article by the British Heart Foundation:

A common cause of high blood cholesterol levels is eating too much saturated fat...
....The cholesterol which is found in some foods such as eggs, liver, kidneys and some types of seafood eg. prawns, does not usually make a great contribution to the level of cholesterol in your blood. It's much more important that you eat foods that are low in saturated fat.

they mentioned drinking alcohol as being a bad thing as well {cry}
Bah Humbug
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Mrs Boodles - no, I didn't think your reply was sharp.

Thanks for all the input. Have given in and ordered next lot of statins from the surgery. Was on the cholesterol reducing drinks for two years, but last blood test showed that they were not having the desired effect. I don't eat a lot of red meat, very little in fact, and fatty foods are a no go area. Trying chips cooked in oven again - see other thread on the actifry. What I wouldn't give for a whole pan of chips!
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Same here Spreckly, love chips, well love all stuff you are not meant to have with high cholesterol. those actifrys sound pretty good but very expensive. Have found a cheese that is low in cholesterol, half fat and made with Lo salt. It tastes nice and I do treat myself to some sometimes. Not going to deny myself stuff at Christmas, just going to try and be a bit disiplined as the saying goes a little of what you fancy does you good. troube is once I get a taste for all the nice things I find it difficult to stop.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I don't suffer from hligh cholesterol myself but have a book on the uses of vinegar, which gives the following.

To help reduce cholesterol levels, try drinking half a cup of this solution before you eat the largest meal of the day.
2 cups of grape juice
1 cup of apple juice
1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar
Combine all together and chill before drinking and keep what is left in the fridge.

I have no idea if it works, but it's here if you or anyone wants to give it a go.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you for the recipe, June.