Will my separated hen be ok on her own?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Ajlang
Learner Laner

Will my separated hen be ok on her own?

Post by Ajlang »

I have had to separate one of my ex battery hens as her vent has been pecked badly.
She only has feathers on her wings. Will she be ok in a small coop on her own for a couple of nights & days?
The night temp is -2
Please help I'm worried about her.

Ajlang
Learner Laner

Re: Will my separated hen be ok on her own?

Post by Ajlang »

Sorry wrong forum.
manda

Post by manda »

She will be fine on her own ..give her some extra bedding and she'll be good....as long as she can get up and move around ...does it have a bit of a run attached?

You will just have to watch when putting her back though as she might get picked on when you put her back....this would happen with any chook when they have been separated from the flock...as she has already been bullied and is obviously weaker that the others more so.

Hope that helps.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

manda wrote:S ..give her some extra bedding and she'll be good....

I'm interested in why you suggest this Manda? Is it because she is an ex-bat and won't roost or will she sit in a bed if cold?

All mine roost at night, I'm confused.
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
manda

Post by manda »

If they are cold they will hunker down in bedding..if they're not they will carry on roosting or will huddle up together on the roost. Give additional bedding it gives them the option..if they feel the need hey will use it.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Hows your little hen doing? Any sign of some feathers coming through? Is the red/swelling coming down a bit? Hope shes doing ok {hug}