Which Antifungal meds for sour crop?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
debs123
Lively Laner

Which Antifungal meds for sour crop?

Post by debs123 »

My little exbat Milly has sour crop. The vet prescribed Septrin Paed suspension and Emeprid oral suspension. I am not sure they are doing any good. Is Septrin an anti fungal medication as that is what I thought she needed. Can anyone say what they have used with any success please? I have been tipping her carefully to get rid of the liquid and putting 6 or 7 white maggots down her beak afterwards. I have made her some runny mash but she has eaten next to nothing. This is the third day :( Any help would be really appreciated.
Debs
x

Mad Chick

Re: Which Antifungal meds for sour crop?

Post by Mad Chick »

I haven't heard of the meds from your vet but a few people here have used an oral thrush gel called Daktarin for sour crop. A pea sized blob into the beak two or three times a day may help, after you've tipped and fed a few maggots )t'

As it is only licensed for humans, don't tell them it's for a chicken as they won't sell it to you... "It's for my grannies dentures" normally seems to do the trick )grin2(

There's another one you can get from a vet called Nystatin which seems to work well.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
manda

Post by manda »

Septrin is Cotrimazole which is used for thrush (which is essentially what sour crop is). Nystatin is commonly used ...either are good. Keep on with it like any fungal infection it can take a while to come right....keep doing what you're doing :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Oooh, just come across this - we use emeprid - its an anti-emetic, so stops vomiting in dogs and cats. Don't know what reason vet will have prescribed this. If ever a vet prescribes something and you aren't sure what it is for, give them a ring. Sometimes its too much to take in when vet giving out dr-ugs, so they would rather you phone and ask what it is for, although they should explain what it is for, sometimes this might be overlooked.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
debs123
Lively Laner

Post by debs123 »

Thank you so much for the advice but Milly is going down hill fast. She is drinking but not eating at all and she keeps bring up bile. I went to see another vet and have swapped to Nystatin. I have tried tempting her with cheese, strawberries, grapes, corn, tuna, yoghurt and can't think of anything else to try. If she doesn't improve in the next day or so I think I may have to have her pts otherwise I am being cruel to her and that is the last thing I want to do.
Debs
x
manda

Post by manda »

Try this ...stop feeding her and empty her crop at least 3 times a day...and put in the nystat...don't worry too much about food as such although have pellets (soaked in water so they are sloppy) available for her. Once it's completely emptied...
Try sugar water (tablespoon of sugar dissolved in one cup of water) ...sometimes they need energy to kick start their eating as they kind of get into a no eating mode...hope that helps.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

How is she this morning?

>fi< >fi<
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
debs123
Lively Laner

Post by debs123 »

She is about the same Mad Chick, thanks for asking. I emptied the soury fluid from her crop this morning before giving her medication and have swapped her water bowl with sugar water as Manda suggested. She is taking her meds okay but still not eating at all. She has watery mash in a bowl with her and tried a few treats again but still no interest. I won't give up hope but don't want to be cruel to her. I took her out in the garden for a few minutes yesterday to see if it might help to join the others but she just looked bewildered, so I bought her back indoors.
x
Debs
x
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Awww, as Manda said, try not to worry too much about food at the moment, as it will probably just add to the gunk in her crop anyway.

Sugar water should give her a little energy boost, if she doesn't drink from the bowl, you could try syringing some into the side of her beak )t'

Keeping everything crossed for her >fi<
Lucy x

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Sending best wishes to Milly, I hope she is soon feeling better bless her {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
debs123
Lively Laner

Post by debs123 »

Just a quick update, Milly is being looked after overnight by a vet and is being fed via a tube as she has lost so much weight. She is a fighter and is hanging on in there and I hope she will recover soon >fi< x
Debs
x
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

{hug} Love and Healing thoughts for you and Milly {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Sending Amanda-Jaynes fight and determination and lots of love to your Milly {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
debs123
Lively Laner

Post by debs123 »

She tried ever so hard but the vet said it would be kinder to have to pts as she was not making any improvement. R.I.P Milly {cry} Thank you for your help and kind thoughts x
Debs
x
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

So sorry {cry}
RIP Milly, sleep tight little chookie {hug}
Lucy x