Sourdough bread ... getting there

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Sourdough bread ... getting there

Post by fabindia »

You can't really tell from the picture but this is a really large loaf not just a bun!

Start a sourdough start a couple of weeks ago and this is my second baking from it and this is much better. Really crusty and tasty.

Michael
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Sourdough bread ... getting there

Post by MissEllie »

That looks delicious Michael )app( I love sourdough bread, the best ever was in San Francisco wheni had clam chowder served in a hollowed out sourdough bowl - yum )eat(
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

That looks a seriously good loaf of bread, don`t think I have ever had sourdough bread.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

It looks great!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
manda

Post by manda »

)t' )app( )app(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

The long process of getting the starter ready has put me off having a go at sourdough bread, but seeing your lovely crusty loaf has made me realise that it is well worth it.
Can I ask a question about using the starter? I believe that you just use a percentage of the starter that you have made. Do you use half and then keep the second half going and is it some time before the second loaf can be made? This is the bit that I don't understand.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Hi June

There is lots about sourdough on the web and I must admit I am very much still at the learning/experimental stage so you are probably better off looking on line. That said, I used about 300g of sourdough to start to about 500g of bread flour and then added 350ml of water. This made too wet a dough so I added some more flour, I guess that took it up to 600g. I then threw most of the starter away leaving about 75g, feed it 75g flour plus 75g of water and have put it the fridge till next week, when I plan to take it out and feed it 2 or 3 times before starting the cycle again.

I baked the loaf in a dutch oven put into the normal oven. You leave the lid on for the first 30 mins or so and then remove the lid in order to get a nice crusty top.

Here's the video of the method I tried to follow. I didn't leave the dough wrapped in cling film for 10 minutes at a time, so cut a few corners. I think you have to work out what works best for you. My dough rises really quickly as I put it next to the wood burning stove so some of the times are significantly reduced.

[youtube]YfWcs2k7oQ4[/youtube]
Michael
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

June - I can bake every day from my starter, without any problems, and if we have house guests, then that's what I do.
Normally it's just the six of us at home, so I bake two loaves every other day. Each morning, the starter gets a small feed of a couple of tablespoons of flour, and enough water to maintain a gloopy consistency. The evening before baking, it gets a big feed of five cups of flour & four of water. Next morning, I put aside a cup full of starter, back into the crock where it lives between bakings, and add flour, salt and oil to bake the rest.
I think sourdough is one of those things that is easier done than said. It sounds like a faff when all written down, but is actually very easy.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
manda

Post by manda »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:....
I think sourdough is one of those things that is easier done than said. It sounds like a faff when all written down, but is actually very easy.

I'd agree with that :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

OK - I'm inspired. Definitely having a go if it turns out like that.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks for the advice. I will have a good look at the link given and start it going. I do make my bread when wanted but must admit the sour dough readouts look very intimidating. Best to get going and learn by any mistakes. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

The Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall method here is very simply written & just gives the basic information needed.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Thanks LBF )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I thought I would resurrect this thread as nearly two years later, we are still baking using sour dough. There is a bit of a faff in keeping the starter alive, but the end results are worth it. Just lately we have used 50% bread flour with 50% rye, which gives a very tasty bread.

Happy baking.
Michael
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

I use a sourdough starter too. He's just about a year old now and his name is Thaddeus, my son says he's another pet! I feed him by volume rather than weight so 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water which means he's quite liquid and my most used recipe is a small loaf using 1 cup flour and 1 cup starter with a couple of tablespoons of seeds (linseed/sunflower/etc). It usually doesn't need any extra water. I keep him in the fridge door in an open kilner jar so that when I feed him or just before I use him I can snap it shut and give it a good shake to mix. So much easier than all that stirring!

The only time I had a problem keeping him alive was when I was away for 3 weeks in the summer. The starter I'd left in the jar went very bad indeed but I'd also left some mixed to a stiff dough in a bowl in the fridge and cutting that in half on my return there was still some moist dough in the centre that I could feed up and it was back to normal in a few days.

I've never thrown out any good starter, instead I use the excess for pancakes, pizza dough or even to bind burgers or stuffing. It's very versatile stuff.
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx