TV chefs, food and cooking programmes

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: TV chefs, food and cooking programmes

Post by mrs boodles »

Also who can afford fillet steak , chicken breast and pork fillet for everyday meals, thought that sort of thing was for a treat, I have never tasted pork fillet or fillet steak and have to be feeling really flush to buy chicken breast.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

mrs boodles wrote:Quite agree with you June and Bev really gone off Jamie O and think this series is absolute rubbish, put me right off his food, and does he not possess a plate, everything is served on a board. did`nt they used to do that in medieval times. I can`t stand the way chefs use their hands to fiddle around with food, sorry but I don`t think at all hygienic. How does anyone know whether they have washed their hands properly or at all. yike*

You'd have to hope they'd given their hands a full theatre scrub MrsBoods! )t'

Oh golly-gee just caught him again on an advert - he was mixing ingredients together and going on about how they're like v****a!! What on earth is that all about?! I just find him totally repulsive )loo(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

I have only just found this thread,i think there are too many cookery shows on TV and this many have not encouraged the British public to cook instead of microwaving ready meals,or is it just entertainment value?I remember Fanny and Johnny Craddock on the Tv and someone called Philip ?harbin,aiso Robert Carrier(I still do his recipe for Spag Bol today. >ck<
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh I'm not sure UrbanChicks as I just love love love watching food programmes. I catch all the Sky ones as well :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I like watching cooking programmes but I don`t think I would eat much of the stuff that is dished up. watching the final of professional masterchef this week. I really do not like this series of Jamie and his 15 minute meals, it really grates on me.
I think people learn from programmes such as great british bake off which is quite down to earth and I think the hairy bikers are pretty every day in their recipes and easy for people to copy.
Personally, I think a bit of domestic science in schools would`nt go amiss in learning how to cook.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Here here MrsBoods, do they not do domestic science/home economics anymore?
Bev x

mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Don`t think its like it was in my day, we had a double lesson of actually being taught how to prepare and make things from pastry to bread, cakes etc. in a room equipped with cookers etc and we had to make what we were taught. we even had a little flatlet attached to the domestic science rooms and we had to cook a meal for teachers for one lesson. Much more pmphasis on the practical side.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Yes we had rooms that were set up with lots of kitchens/cookers etc and we were taught how to hand wash clothes, bake bread, cook etc.

We've really been enjoying the Pro Masterchef as well, didn't they all do well last night )t' :-D
Bev x

mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

They are going to heston blumentals restaurant to work tonight. Woud really like to see the young lad Ollie win.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Yes I'd like him to win too I think MrsBoods :-D what a talented lad.

Haven't seen last nights yet, will wait for Hubbly to get home as he's been enjoying it too :-D
Bev x

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I did watch the program from Heston Blumentals Fat Duck restaurant. Of course the food is very pretentious and very clever but I did enjoy watching how well the contestants cooked and served the dishes. What was wonderful to see, was the food being handled with gloves and tongs. If a restaurant of his calibre can work this way, so can all the others. Even Ollie had to have a shave and looked very handsome. I haven't got a favourite chef as they are all talented and deserve to win. It will be a very hard decision.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

just resurrecting this thread - Celebrity Masterchef is on tonight on BBC 1 if anyone is interested.

I've enjoyed watching the various Masterchef series for the past couple of years and the celebrity version tend to be much less stressful for most of the contestants as they take it into their stride, occasionally amusing especially in the beginning. I'm always fascinated how the dishes later in the series as they near the finals become so much more sophisticated than the rough and ready versions in the earlier heats.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

lancashire lass wrote:just resurrecting this thread - Celebrity Masterchef is on tonight on BBC 1 if anyone is interested.

I've enjoyed watching the various Masterchef series for the past couple of years and the celebrity version tend to be much less stressful for most of the contestants as they take it into their stride, occasionally amusing especially in the beginning. I'm always fascinated how the dishes later in the series as they near the finals become so much more sophisticated than the rough and ready versions in the earlier heats.

Can't wait to watch. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.