tumble driers and dehumidifiers

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

tumble driers and dehumidifiers

Post by 4 french hens »

Frugal tip here :-

Condensing tumble driers

Dehumidifiers

Both of these appliances collect water in tanks, here's the frugal bit,

this water is distilled water and perfect for steam irons and battery top ups.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
wendy

Post by wendy »

In the summer I watered my plants with it as well.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

I have a condenser tumble dryer and am planning on collecting the water next summer to water plants.Didn't think about it in Irons etc :razz:
Karen
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

It might be condensed but I wouldn't count on it being pure, there's all manner of stuff in washing liquid that will evaporate along with the water. It's a good idea to use it in the iron although I wouldn't top up a car battery just in case.
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You're right SS. If anyone thinks that everything that's distilled is pure water, then why is whisky so potent?
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Mo wrote:You're right SS. If anyone thinks that everything that's distilled is pure water, then why is whisky so potent?

good point well made.
Bah Humbug
elljay
Lively Laner

Post by elljay »

Might be worth checking your iron instruction booklet. Mine says to definitely not use distilled water, always use tap water. But still I think the point is not to waste water - any water - so watering plants is an excellent use, flushing loo is another and so on. Liz
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Mo. contrary to posting above, not a good point. The whiskey and all other distillers distill for specific types of alcohol, not to remove water. It is a completly different process, the first distillation removes the water content and one particular type of alcohol, all of this is discarded as far as I know and then the second distillation is alcohol specific. This is why the end product is called spirit.

I have been using the water from our tumble drier in lead acid batteries for years and my most recent change of car battery was when the battery was nearly 10 years old. I have never changed any of the solar power batteries we have as yet and they were 2nd user when I bought them 5 years ago.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Fair enough I can’t argue with what you have done in the past. I personally wouldn’t use it in batteries but that is me, I’m an engineer by trade and have long dealt with desalination plants and processes for both potable and boiler feed water purposes. I have also worked extensively with lead acid batteries over the years. I know just how exacting the standards I work to are and tend to stick to them outside of work if I can. The problem with using contaminated water is that it interrupts the chemical reaction within the battery and reduces it’s efficiency and life. In an iron there will probably be a reduction in scale build up and watering the plants just seems sensible. The problem with water from a tumble drier or de-humidifier is that it is not made in contaminant free conditions so can not be free of contaminants. Washing detergents for instance are full of chemicals designed to make them smell nice, these tend to disappear when tumble dried so where have they gone? De humidifiers not only remove moisture but also air born pollutants that happen to be drawn through the machine will end up in the collector.
Just MHO based on a lifetime in engineering.
Bah Humbug
red-rialto
Learner Laner

tumble drier water

Post by red-rialto »

We put ours in the toilet cistern
PINCH THAT PENNY UNTIL IT SCREAMS...........