Memory foam mattresses

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Memory foam mattresses

Post by MissEllie »

We recently bought an memory foam mattress topper and it sooo comfy but OH has developed an itchy rash which we think must be due to it. (We've changed washing powder etc and no improvement).
Has anyone else had any experience/issues? Ive heard a mattress protector affects the comfort and I really don't want to get rid of it but I'm itching too! }hairout{
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
wendy

Re: Memory foam mattresses

Post by wendy »

We have had a topper as well, for years, neither of us is itchy. We also bought one for my sister a few years back and she has no problems.
One of your being allergic, maybe. But both of you >dum< that is strange
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I have a memory foam topper and use a quilted mattress protector on top.

I too struggled at first so put the protector on and no problems.

I would like to add it is not a waterproof proof protector before some smart alec accuses me of wetting the bed
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

We have a MF mattress, and I can honestly say it took a good 12 months before we were comfy, but now it's wonderful, oh and I've never itched from it. Hope you get to the bottom of your itchy mystery.
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Your OH might be itching due to sweating more, so residual chemicals on skin can cause itching. I'd go back to the old washing powder,and put a mattress protector on and reassess in a few days. Maybe ask him to shower without gel/ soap at the same time.

>gl<
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Thanks everyone, I'm not sure if I'm just itchy because he is! I've googled it and there's a lot of folk who claim to have itching and allergic reactions to some of the chemicals in the foam so will try a mattress protector and see how it goes )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

This is a new one on me Ellie - we've had a memory foam mattress for let's see, five years now and I don't think it's caused us any itching.

You do get very warm occasionally, so that'd explain the sweating and then itching...... hope you get to the root of the problem and you both have a nice comfy itch-free nights sleep {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Primarni are excellent for bedding, I buy most of mine from there cheap and washes well.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Mrs B wrote:I have a memory foam topper and use a quilted mattress protector on top.

I too struggled at first so put the protector on and no problems.

I would like to add it is not a waterproof proof protector before some smart alec accuses me of wetting the bed

:oops:
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Mrs B wrote:Primarni are excellent for bedding, I buy most of mine from there cheap and washes well.

)t' I was looking in our new Primani yesterday and there's some really lovely things there - had to restrain myself at a set of new shower curtains and bath mats in bright pink............

Shame they don't seem to do superking as yet.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Perchy - I'm sure Mrs B didn't mean you... +pinn+

Thanks for the Primarni tip, will be in town tomorrow so will have a wee look then )t'
Woody Allen
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Ellie ..my daughter is allergic to memory foam so it is possible that your OH is too. Apparently there are a lot of toxic chemicals in it that can trigger reactions :?

There is a fair bit of information about it . http://www.ehow.com/about_6648436_aller ... -foam.html"
Lester_B
Learner Laner

Post by Lester_B »

I think a pillow case would work. Or are you aware of anything that might cause the allergy on your end?