Computer type tv problem

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
zedhead
Lively Laner

Computer type tv problem

Post by zedhead »

I really didn't know what section to put this in but here goes. I have acquired a a second hand smart tv and decided to try and connect it to the internet, the instructions tell me it needs a "wireless lan dongle" to do the job.
Now my problem is that the panasonic one is around £50+ but there are lots of non panasonic ones on evilbay for about £5.
So my question is ... do they all do the same job ? (I have noticed that they come in 150 and 300 size) or will I have to bite the bullet and buy the panasonic one ? I can't hardwire it btw.
If it helps the tv is a Panasonic viera TX-L42E30B.

THANK YOU FOR LOOKING.
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
vegalot
Lively Laner

Re: Computer type tv problem

Post by vegalot »

This thread may or may not help, it is for a different model, but should give some insight.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1281516-alternative-panasonic-dy-wl10-usb-wireless-adaptor.html

It seems not all are compatible, do you have any friends who have a wireless dongle, that you could borrow to try?

failing that, the TV does have a hard wired connection, (taken from the manual) connect with a cat5 cable direct into the router, this would give a more stable connection .

The manual, if you don't already have it, can be found here
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/TX-L42E30B/Manuals/7098451/index.html?view=&angle=1 :-D

Edit : just noticed you can't hardwire it, when I get back I will have a search around and see if I can find anywhere that could be of help.
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Great answer Vegalot!! I like the AVG forum )t'

However it's all double dutch to me spent some time in a AV store the other day it left me :? :?
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

Thanks Bollybarb, I enjoy learning about all electronics, to the point of taking a basic electronics course, but AV is my favourite.

Looking at google again, it seems panasonic only recommend 2 adapters, the panasonic one and the netgear WNDA3100 v.2, it must be the v.2 version, a quick search on evilbay shows a few refurbished ones, for around £13 plus P&P (around £7 ), the one I looked at comes from the USA.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/261125815940?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

AVforum has an owners forum here.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1481381-panasonic-tx-l32e30b-l37e30b-l42e30b-owners-thread-28.html

There is also a facebook site for this type of TV. https://www.facebook.com/panasonictv
You may find something there.
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Thank you so much Vegalot, I thought it would be something like that and not the £4 option (my luck) ha ha... I will look at ebay and the face book site.
You probably guessed that I am not as into electronics as you.

Thank you again I will let you know how I get on.
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Read to page six or seven on the link to AV site and am more confused now, so I tried to wire the tv to my laptop using the same cables as I did on my old telly and while the picture was good using a svga ? (monitor lead) there was no where on the telly to put the 3.5 jack plug so I can't get sound.

Technology drives me mad, I am not sure weather I will be able to get Iplayer anyway lol.
Barry.

vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

looks to me like you need one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack-Socket-to-2-Phono-RCA-Plugs-Adapter-/200594122849

then plug the 2 plugs into the audio in on the rear of the TV, to the right of the audio out sockets.
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Thank up again Vegalot, that is spot on, and for £1.49 I can cope with the hassle of plugging the pc in.

Cheers if you are ever down this way IOU a beer.
Barry.

vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

You're welcome zedhead, as for the beer, buy one, drink it and just tell me how it tasted )t' .

We no longer have a TV, someone gave us a 40" PC monitor about 10 months ago, I set up my old PC as a media center and the TV never got switched on again, so it was installed around at my daughters, the wife is always there watching the soaps anyway.
Our tv licence runs out in feb and we won't be renewing it :-D