Bea's beautiful birds

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Bea's beautiful birds

Post by bmpsands »

I took on 4 chooks last April as a favour to a friend - tragically her son (whose chickens they were) had taken his own life. She didn't know the breed "but they are brown". They were said to be about 2 years old, but I'm not so sure.

Having succumbed to chickenitis, I got 2 light sussex in the autumn; they took a while to come into lay but are now doing so with a vengance and at the tops of their voices.

I wasn't going to give them names but my daughter (not yet grown up at 32) said I must, so since the run is at the western end of the garden they were named CJ, Ainsley and Mrs Landingham. The stroppy one was called Atilla, but is now Tilly as she has moderated her behaviour.

The two light sussex (miscalled silver sussex) became two-bob and tanner.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.

jackian
Legendary Laner

Re: Bea's beautiful birds

Post by jackian »

I just love their names.. Who was Mrs Landingham?
I nearly had 2 extra girls given to me as someone i knew could not cope but it did not happen.I was secretly disappointed as my OH loves our girls but is steadfast about not getting any more than our 3 until we lose one or are given a chicken of fate .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Jackian, I think someone in Bea's house is a West Wing fan - hence the reference to the West side of the garden and I think they are character names. Funny how tragedy can for someone else bring happiness as an outcome .
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bea looking forward to some piccies of your ladies, I know yiu are a West Wing fan cause I asked where you got the name from before(Ithink) your daughter is far too young to be grown up at 32, I am 55 and I am still a child inside :-D
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Well done for giving those chooks a home in such tragic circumstances, I hope your friend is coping with the loss of her son.
I really love your girls names, I've decided Mrs Landingham is my favourite - even though I haven't seen any pictures of them - I just loved her so much in the programme! {rofwl}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your girls, especially two-bob and tanner :-D
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Love the names Two Bob and Tanner :-D Wonder if kids these days would know what they were :?
LYN
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

How tragic for your friend and how kind of you to offer tha chooks a home. Look forward to some pics :-D
Julie x