The Ladies of Rohan

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

The Ladies of Rohan

Post by Riders of Rohan »

An abandoned chapter from the Hobbit has just been discovered, covering the residents of the plains of Rohan and high plateau.
Well no not really just four new chickens with a new keeper on high plateau in West Yorkshire.
I wonder if I can manage to keep a diary for my chickens, I am sure many of you more experienced keepers will enjoy these early trials and tribulations.
I suppose it all started when I somehow surfed onto a battery hen re-homing site which sort of struck a chord as I had just left a well paid job to set up a business and work part time as contractor. A new life for me?
As my birthday was coming up (in July!!) i shocked my already reeling family by asking for a chicken coop and chickens.
The original plans were revised and revised as it became obvious that the designs based around some ebay coops and runs were totally inadequate for the hens and unlikely to survive a standard Pennine winter.
I'll take some pictures of the finished article this week hopefully.
Oh and the ex batts idea went away and I decided to go with Point-of-Lay hens instead.
Anyway this is supposed to be a diary.
Friday 4th January: I have to admit to a sleepless night the first such night for some time! It had been surprisingly difficult to find Point-of-Lay hens for sale at this time of the year. I had intended sourcing my hens from a large farmer / farm shop business in Huddersfield however they had a very limited selection from their usual. In the end two small breeders in East Yorkshire had a selection available and one was able to accept a visit on Fridays.
A longer journey than I had expected to make and Land Rovers love diesel so fill her up and off we go!
Gary at Cottage garden hens has a great set up, very jealous. To me his hens looked in great condition and at last we had four in a box in the back of the Landy.
So what did we have? A bluebelle who to me showed the most spirit, a Rhode Rock who on arrival at home did her utmost to escape the box, the friendiest hen ever a Gingernut Ranger and a quiet girl - a Pied Sussex. By the time we arrived home it was dark so I put them straight into the coop and successfully thwarted the Rhode Rocks best efforts to escape in the process.
A good nights sleep for everyone ?
Why Riders of Rohan? Used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider, now own a Rohan clothing shop, sorry I'm no Tolkein!

aceface
Legendary Laner

Re: The Ladies of Rohan

Post by aceface »

you have been bitten by the bug looking forward to the pics )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Good luck with your girls, I look forward to hearing all about how you get on.I am biased but please don't rule out adding some batty girls to your flock as they are brilliant little hens and are very rewarding to keep :-D )t'
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Well done for starting a diary on your girls. Looking forward to hearing more about how they're getting on and about any more escape attempts from your rhode rock!
I'm another ex batt fan but I did the same as you and started out with Point-of-Lay which I think is a good introduction to keeping chickens and then added ex batts a year down the line.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

Very exciting - you will be totally distracted by them. Looking forward to pics )t'
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Have fun with your chooks )t' I'm another ex batty, ex com lover. Never had any other kind although I have been tempted. Perhaps in the future you could consider rehoming one or two of these lovely little girls. They are worth it :-D
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aha I noticed you surfing on here and was eagerly awaiting your diary to start. Chickenitus is a symptom you will catch very quickly. )piicy(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

Saturday
Unfortunately a work day so earlier start than usual, but no difficulty getting up this morning can't wait to open up the coop.
Pull up the pop hole cover, who will be out first? No surprises really after last nights performance out pops the Rhode Rock, one look at the ladder and a fluttering leap. Next comes Bluebelle, no airs and graces here another leap and another crash landing.
A more cautious brown head looks all around, then spots me, instant recognition - how flattering, two steps down the ladder and a leap.
It took a little longer for the Pied Sussex to emerge, heavy sleeper?
Now while they are all occupied lets have a look inside. Blimey a scene of devastation, they must have held a house warming party last night, water everywhere, poo everywhere else.
Going to need a bucket, spade and bag of sawdust.
On my last trip to Skipton market I managed to buy a feeder and water container, they looked big for four hens but what do I know the dealer was convinced this was the size I needed. Lifting the water container out over the perches this morning caused more flooding, perhaps in the dark last night? Perhaps the party took place in soggy sawdust and the only thing left to do was poo everywhere else and go to bed?
Two things for me today - find a better overnight water solution and create a soft landing pad for aviators with newly clipped wings.
Oh and 3 eggs, cheers Ladies.
Why Riders of Rohan? Used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider, now own a Rohan clothing shop, sorry I'm no Tolkein!
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Hi, just to make life easier you don't need to give them any food or water overnight, they will take in enough during the day, this will save any more raucus house parties )t'
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

i use upturned plant pots usually the large terracotta type are good as sort of hop ups if you use wood to make steps or a perch bar make sure there are no splinters or sharp edges as it will splinter )t' golf husband rounded off the steps and perch bars we took out of the houses and we use them as hop ups but the edges were sharp so we took care of it and hopefully we will avoid any bumblefoot or loosened claws etc )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

morb is right dont put water or food in their bedroom, they don't need it they are in a trance at night. Isn't it great going down in the morning to open up )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

Sunday Another work day but a later start so will be able to see the chicks in daylight at least. But first see if last nights visit to B&Q just before closing to get a bag of redwood chippings was worth it. Not a bad job in the dark this time spreading out the chippings particularly in the landing zone. The rest of the spreading they can do themselves.
On my visits to Skipton Mart I saw how those for sale had converted plastic milk containers cable-tied to the cage for water while they waited for the auctioneer. So after spreading in the dark some quick scissor work followed. Seems to have worked, there's less water in the converted container this morning and no mess.
Two problems solved two new ones this morning.
The large water container seems to be used as a perch during the day, guess where the poo ends up? maybe need to find some way of hanging it up?
Spent a few minutes in the pen watching and being watched. Little Ginger is a cutie, stands next to me moves with me wherever I go. Does she think she is human or does she think I'm a chicken?
How much food to put into the big feeder. Egg farms average 125g per hen, that 500g for 4. First day put far too much in, this time much less and now its empty. Get out the kitchen scales and measure out 600g, lets hope there's only a little bit left tomorrow.

PS thanks for advice not needing water overnight, that's one problem no longer although it does seem a long time this time of year.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

So pleased that you started a diary. You have a great way with words )t'
You seem to have caught the bug ..How long I wonder before you reckon they need just a couple of new friends?
P.S Agree with the others no food or water in the coup at night ,they need time to empty their crop.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Great diary )t'
[center][/center]Davina
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

Sorry for the gap in updates but I have been battling with Photobucket to load some photos and I think I finally understand it so here goes.

First of all as its impossible to do anything without her sticking her beak in, the Gingernutter

Bluebelle making the most of the new facilities, before anyone else has (Ginger was next)
watched over by the Rhode Rock.

And the Pied Sussex wondering why I bought such a massive water container

Finally the chicken bunker, hopefully ready to face winter.