Should it stay?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Mrs B

Should it stay?

Post by Mrs B »

Our damson trees are pretty old and the fruit is garbage.

I suggest to Beerless that we have two options
1) We give them a good trim and wait a year
2) We chop them down and get new trees

Guess which option he chose, honestly boys and their toys. He thinks about option 1 for a while

but then decides option 2 is the one for him

Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Re: Should it stay?

Post by Bollybarb »

Any excuse to get the power tools out, my OH is the same.

Will you choose more damson trees or other fruiting trees?
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I have not ordered the trees yet as have a couple more to top off first.

Decided on an acer preferably red leafed, a silvery blue fir (the monkey puzzle type IYSIM) and then I think it was a prunus we chose as the final one again with red leaves.

Going to plant plum and apple trees in the top garden where the greenhouse will be (ordering that at end of this month).
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I would say that it depends on how much you love damsons. I do myself and if it was my tree, I would give it a good prune and see how it fruits maybe next year. I say maybe, as this year was not at all good for plums in our area, so no one here had a good crop.
If you're not fussed about damsons, then let Beerless go to town on it. >gl<
Your choice of new trees sound really good. How I envy you such a large garden, although I know more work.
By the way MrsB where did the name Beerless come from?
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

June unfortunately the damson trees are no more, once he has a powertool the man does not hang about. Before we bought that section of garden it had been neglected for decades so we tend to work on it a section at a time, everything was choked in weed, scrawny saplings and covered in ivy so it has been a long slog. We think it is the ivy that has caused so much damage to so many trees but each tree that we take down does get replaced. We struggle with flowers though as the squirrels and badger tend to eat everything or dig them up.

Beerless I think came from another Laner, he started as Mr B but with his hobby of consuming vast quantities of beer he became Mr Beer but was then advised to cut down his boozing by his GP so he became Beerless.

I can only dream that one day we will have a garden as lovely as yours.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Was that really a damson?
Ours only get to half that. Too high to pick them all from the ground but not much more than about 12'.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Mo wrote:Was that really a damson?
Ours only get to half that. Too high to pick them all from the ground but not much more than about 12'.

Oh yes damsons, they were very old though and like I say that area had not been touched for decades. To help with scale Beerless is about 6'4" in his stocking feet (as they say)