Blood Pressure

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Blood Pressure

Post by Benny&Co »

When I saw the emergency doc over Christmas, he took my BP and it was something like 160/100, but given the amount of abdominal pain I had, this didn't surprise me at the time.

He recommended I mention it to my own doc when I next see.

Saw my doc yesterday and it was 141/82. I'd also before going in, took a reading in the surgery pod thing that you can do your BP on and it was pretty much the same then.

Late in 2011, I had one of those 24 hour BP monitors and a 12-lead ECG which didn't show any specific problems or make any recommendation for treatment. (Mind you, I did 'adjust' the dratted thing I remember, because it was very annoying and they actually mentioned one of the 'recordings' of 200's/100's in the report!!).

So other than training my Hubbly to use my manual BP sphygmomanometer and stethoscope, I saw a BP machine in Sasdas yesterday for £10, so decided to get myself one.

We'll see if I do suffer from white coat syndrome, which I suspect I do.....

Righty, need to dig out several AAA batteries as it's not a plug in! .ang.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Blood Pressure

Post by mrs boodles »

I bought myself a BP moniter couple of years ago as have/had hypertension,& after being totatly neurotic with it for couple of months and doing BP more times than I care to remember have now settled down to doing it just once in a while.
does`nt help that nurses have the knowledge does it Bev {rofwl}
Hope it goes down and you are ok, you are certainy having a rough time of it with your health take care {hug} {hug}
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

mrs boodles wrote:I bought myself a BP moniter couple of years ago as have/had hypertension,& after being totatly neurotic with it for couple of months and doing BP more times than I care to remember have now settled down to doing it just once in a while.
does`nt help that nurses have the knowledge does it Bev {rofwl}
Hope it goes down and you are ok, you are certainy having a rough time of it with your health take care

Yes a little bit of knowledge MrsBoods..... {rofwl}

Thank you for your kind wishes and big {hug} {hug} back to you too {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

{rofwl} I musn't have looked at the whole box properly yesterday as I've just found that it came with four batteries after all!

Ah well, have plenty in stock now )t'

My first reading was 124/71 so I'm okay with that :-D
Bev x

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Blood pressure reading a sore point with me as it can change so much during the course of a day. Mine is always high when first seeing a doctor, either surgery or hospital, but they now expect it to be and make allowances. If I actually go into hospital it stays normal once the high one has been taken.
We have a home monitor which I am happy with and my BP is usually fine. If I take it before the GP it goes up. As long as my readings are alright at home, I will not take medication. My ex GP put me onto meds and I have never felt so ill. It was only when I developed a fast irregular heartbeat, the side effects of one of the 5 meds tried on me, that I was taken off it. I now have the problem for life. My lovely GP that I have now, says that she is not at all worried that I have the odd high reading.
As long as your readings are fine at home, don't let blood pressure worry you Bev. Know your own body and be in charge of it. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

OH bought one recently - the same make as the practice nurse uses - and of course we played with it loads at first. We followed the instructions to the letter, and then got casual, and it's surprising how much difference even minor changes make. If you put it higher or lower on your arm, talk while it's taking the reading, have your arm too high or low etc....and we saw that the nurse wasn't doing it as instructed either. We were surprised by how much it varies throughout the day and just doing normal activities. Probably not so much of a revelation to you nursey types. I also think that at a medical appointment, you've had to rush to get there on time, find somewhere to park, pay the fee, interpret the cryptic signposting, deal with the bluntness and personality issues of harrassed staff etc, it's hardly surprising that BP is higher than normal, and very little to to with the awe of the white-coated ones.
Turned out OH's BP was high because of an infection and the pain he'd gone to have diagnosed, but playing with the machine still made us make a few lifestyle improvements. I'm sure you know yourself when things aren't right, Bev, especially with the knowledge to interpret it.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Bev i had one fitted about 12 years ago, also had the heart monitor on. I now take one pill every morning, and mine has been fine, but when i am due for a visit the same thing happens it goes up! My dr didn't take it when i went to see him last wed, as i am sure with all the stress of my tummy trouble it would have been high. Hope you work out the machine ok {hug}
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I am bringing this back up people. I have had my Tablets changed in the past 10 days. I was taking valsartan 160 mg which i had been on for over 10 years no side effects at all. 10 days ago he changed me to Lasartan 100mg. Well they have given me tingling, tummy problems aches in my legs, constipation (sorry) :oops: diarrhea. Why do they have to keep swapping things around? When i went to get my last meds they were having a problem getting the valsartan 160 mg, so not sure if thats the reason. I am really fed up with it at the moment, and will be calling him tomorrow to ask to be changed back to the other ones. Anyone else had this problem?

Thank you guys {hug}
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

We do expect it to go up at the surgery, it's called white coat syndrome. Not that doctors wear white coats these days even in hospital.

Personally I don't care for any of these modern electronic ones. Apart from anything else, they don't tell you the nature of the pulse or how regular it is, and we always look at that at the same time. I actually bought a traditional sphyg and thermometer for our team (it took me 10 months to get the money back, after I had to go through all the red tape!). Of course it's practically impossible to use on yourself so you need to learn how to use them on each other.

There is nothing wrong with the modern ones and at least you need no training with them. I'm just a dinosaur!
Life's too short to quarrel