Empty Bottles

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
saint-spoon

Re: Empty Bottles

Post by saint-spoon »

I forget where it was but somewhere in one of the Med ports there is a bar made out of glass bottles cemented together.
They can be quite handy for the aquarists amongst us. I once met a bloke who used to keep his Siamese fighting fish (he was a breeder) in old 2L plastic bottle bottoms, he had hundreds of them all hanging up in his fish house; it isn’t cruel because the species have evolved to live in puddles and actually bubble air through their gill plates to breath so they were quite happy; the clear bottles meant that the males could see each other and the females and would then flare out their fins which encouraged them to grow.
I have used plastic bottles air pulsation dampers on my aquarium air pumps before making filters for tap water before adding it to the tank.
And for my offerance (well I think that it’s a word and if it isn’t then it should be) from a military perspective, we used to have an anti-mine system that sent remote submarine vehicles down to investigate stuff, these submersibles were notoriously difficult to see on the surface at night (made by the French) so they used to tie a 500ml empty pop bottle with a chemical light stick in side to aid recovery… who says the MOD is wasteful with recycling like that.
Anyway not something that is like to turn up in the comp. Dickie.
Bah Humbug
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

When filling my water barrels up on the allotment, I got fed up of having to stop what I was doing to see how far off the top of the barrel the water had reached. I have around ten barrels so that ended up quite a few wasted trips through out an afternoon. So I took an empty 2 ltr pop bottle put a few hand fulls of grit inside, screwed the top back on. Now I just pop the bottle in the barrel and the weight of the grit makes the bottle float like a fishing float, now I dont have to keep going over to check whatever barrel I,m filling, because as soon as I see the bottle I know the barrels very close to been full, and the its just a matter of repeating with all of the other empty barrels.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

You could always build your own island..... Spiral Island is the name of a floating artificial island built in Mexico by British artist Richart "Rishi" Sowa. It was destroyed by a hurricane in 2005; a replacement, Joyxee Island, has been open for tours since 2008.

The island was made of nets filled with empty discarded plastic bottles to support a structure of plywood and bamboo. The island sported a two-story house, a solar oven, a self-composting toilet, and three beaches. It took 250,000 bottles for the 66 feet (20 m) by 54 feet (16 m) structure. Mangroves were planted to help keep the island cool, and some of them rose up to 15 feet (4.6 m) high.

Anyone need to make a duck island in their pond?