Jack's 3 lovely girls.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Jack's 3 lovely girls.

Post by MissEllie »

Have a great first day of proper retirement jackian, just think of all those hours for chicken watching )c(
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen

jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Thank you ..i am so looking forward to it as although my girls have a good Walk-in-Run I do like them to be able to FR . They will be able to wander around our small garden more often .I will concentrate on the front garden ..The back is now rubbish {rofwl}
The one thing I have ready for the years ahead ,apart from having the chickens and 2 allotments I have joined up for beginners Spanish classes starting in Febuary. We usually go to Spain a couple of times a year and my Spanish is very , very , limited and I feel ashamed ..
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You will soon wonder how you ever had time to go to work. Being on hand for the girls on unrestricted hours is heaven )t' Oh and Buenos Tardes
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

I'm envy}} too, I shouldn't moan though as I work forthe NHS and my annual leave amounts to 8 weeks a year )t' so I can't complain, I also work 12hour shifts so this means I only work 3 days a week to make up my full time hours,so I also get to spend a lot of time chook watching, I can't wait for the nice weather to come back, enjoy your retirement I predict you are going to be busy :-D
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So glad Rosie is ok, I love it when they preen they are so meticulous aren't they?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

January 8th Yesterday was a fairly uneventfull day although the girls did have more time out FR than they normally would have done. Poppy bless her 2 years old + now is just lovely she has finished moulting and has a fine new outfit ,her feathers being a lot fairer in colour and not so dark ginger.She keeps swishing her tail like a fan..just because she can I reckon as she had lost all her tail feathers..On the down side she has laid an egg for 18months or so without missing a day and the last couple of months she has laid rightly so every other day but her shells are so thin they are like rice paper.The egg today was broken in the nest box again where she had sat on it or it had dropped.She has not been eating it as the yolk is still intact ...Those I do manage to save I have to be so careful with as they only have to have slight pressure to break and as I have said before the white is odd it is frothy.I have tried everything ,extra protein ,recycled shells and limestone flour and nothing has changed.Clover and little Rosies eggs are fine.
It seems such a shame as she is well in herself and eating and drinking well.
Apart from that they are all fine and well and making the most of no rain although it is grim and grey.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Have you tried adding some cod liver oil to their food? Its supposed to help the absorbtion of calcium. I just squirt some from a capsule onto their supper mash. Iv'e had a few softies but majority have been fine )t'
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Really there is not a lot you can do, as long as she is happy and healthy I am afraid it just happens with some older girls. I had it with Abbie for months and tried all the things I could but I think it is just the age thing {hug}

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Wishing you a very Happy Retirement Jackian, lovely pictures of your gorgeous little ladies. I love the ones of them in the blue pot and also the three of them perching together on the fence :-D :-D :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have not been here for a few days so a bit of a catch up! The first week of my retirement and I wish I had kept it a secret ... }hairout{ Everything that could go wrong did! My Dad of 87 lost his lady friend of 84 and so the week has been keeping him company and being there,my youngest daughter (all of 38 decided to ring me and tell me she was at thye hospital (home now) .
We are decorating a bedroom and I was all ready to go ..Where had he put the paintbrushes ?..one hour later found and so go to start to paint..we had brought the wrong paint }hairout{ Down to DIY to buy right paint ..2 hours.
Now for my lovely chickens.Poppy has been poorly so much so that it was the vets this morning .She had been not eating , and was hunched up by the patiuo doors for days and hardly moving .I had no confidence in vets but this young lady was astounding ..through check,weight everything and also crop etc., stroking her all the time and chatting to her after a second opinion thinks she has thebeginning maybe of peritinitus so we have Baytril for 7 days.Brought her home and she jumped out of the box and raced like road runner for food.then after 5 minutes was dustb athing ,something she has not bothered with,,you would not think it was the same chicken...Watch this space

Poppy reading the telegraph

It is Poppys Birthday >ck< ..well a year since she came to us so tiny that she slept under the tiny stool I had put there so she could climb the slope..She is sucha sweety ,even though she is bottom chick.2 weeks after we got her and her mate Eva ,Eva died and so for Rosie it was like a lone chicken joining two oldies.Although she will always be on the side lines and usually sleeps on her own she is a star ..don't tell the others shes my favourite.

I just love this picture of Rosie
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

lovely photos and enjoy your retirement and i have to agree unlimited hours are great with the hens really theraputic {hug} we are very lucky to have plenty of time to share with them ,i appreciate every minute i spend with t >ch< hem
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Just wish the weather was more clement :?
LYN
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

You will wonder when you ever had the time to work with all you have going on !! >shrug< where do the days go {rofwl}
Happy Birthday Poppy >ck< , love the pic
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

January 14th It is a couple of days since i wrote anything on here mainly because it has been very non eventful except that Poppy is now bursting with health so it seems and since going to see my new found vet she has not looked back..My faith is restored as in the past I have not had good results from vets who did not seem to know a thing about them
Today of course like most of the country it has been snowing hard and the girls have been bemused by it all. At first they ventured out in it for a bit but when it got heavy they decided to stay in their run .Clover and Poppy we had last year in the snow but of course their memory is very short like mine and had not a clue.
Poppy and Rosie the snow did not really show up on them but on Clover it did and they had great pleasure in gently pecking it from Clovers back.
I tried to get a photo of them pecking the snow from her but they kept moving .So just one of clover.
I don't usually say a lot about clover as she is so laid back and just gets on with her life.She is my OH favourite as he says she is a lady.Her feathers are black with shades of blue and green running through them and she is just beautiful..
She is very well behaved and if there is any hanky panky it is never her that has started it.
Clover posing .
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

She is very beautiful :-D
LYN