New run roof

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Mrs B

New run roof

Post by Mrs B »

It is highly possible that I may have to move my chicken run (just don't ask as my blood pressure at boiling point) ...... currently the roof is the corrugated plastic sheet things (the wibbly type) and there are a few leaks so intend to get a new roof if run does need to move.
Would those plastic sheets a bit like conservatory roofs be better or are they silly expensive?
I want plastic of some type as this time will get a rain gutter etc fitted and collect he rain for the garden.

Any ideas clever DIY peeps?
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: New run roof

Post by MissEllie »

I think Lucy has those conservatory panels on her run so hopefully she can let you know more.
Sorry to hear youre maybe having to move your run, it's in such a ideal patch just now.
When you've calmed down, will you tell us the story? +f+
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Busy body council idiots, the run has been there 16 months so really don't see how suddenly it is problem. {mr.angry} {mr.angry} {mr.angry} very complicated so I m saying nothing until it is all sorted out.

We are marking out and area next to the summer house which will be ideal for the run IF we have to move it.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hi MrsB,
If you do a search for polycarbonate roofing panels you will get an idea of prices etc.
Some places do a "cut to size" system but charge for it. I would work out exactly what you need and see what sizes they stock as standard. It may work out cheeper to buy pannels that are longer than you need and cut them yourself. If it has to be completely leak free then use the correct glazing bars between the sheets and plenty of fixings so it doesn't blow away. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks Al, now I know what the panels are called searching will easier. Mr Goggle didn't seem to understand non wibbly roof panels
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Mrs B wrote:Busy body council idiots, the run has been there 16 months so really don't see how suddenly it is problem. {mr.angry} {mr.angry} {mr.angry} very complicated so I m saying nothing until it is all sorted out.

We are marking out and area next to the summer house which will be ideal for the run IF we have to move it.

Hope it gets sorted out. {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

MrsB

We got our panels from an independent local place - we just goggled polycarbonate sheets Reading and and found them. We had ours cut to size as they only supplied in really huge sheets. We bought three sheets, each one measuring 3.5m x 1.2m. We also bought the end strips (to stop water getting up inside), connecting bars (to connect the sheets together) - this all came to just over £100. We bought twin-wall sheets rather than triple as I'm sure the chooks wouldn't give a monkeys )t'

We didn't buy the proper screw down kits for the sheets as they were really expensive but bought stainless steel screws, stainless steel washers and rubber tap washers to give the expansion.

The sheets are more expensive than the corrugated stuff but being stronger, needed far less support from underneath.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Excellent advice thank you Lucy. I hereby award you three chunky kit kats
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

)c( )c( )c(
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Mrs B wrote: I hereby award you three chunky kit kats

Ahem! Cough cough ahem!!!!!!!
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I don't mind sharing Al .ang.
Lucy x

AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

{hug&kiss} {hug}
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

AL37 wrote:Ahem! Cough cough ahem!!!!!!!

Sorry Al I can't find any cider flavoured biscuits