A Major Decorating Job

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

A Major Decorating Job

Post by albertajune »

As we are both oldies and have mobitlity problems, we thought that this year we would go right through our home, painting, papering and renewing, in case we aren't able to do the ladder climbing etc. later on.
We started yesterday in one of the bedrooms and did have windows open, although a freezing day. However, the smell of paint is really going to my head, so am wondering if any of you do-it-yourselfers, has a remedy for dulling down paint smells.
I know that now isn't the best time to do these jobs, but as it is going to be a long job and as we want to plod on, taking our time, we thought sooner than later. The summer will bring it's own jobs.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: A Major Decorating Job

Post by Mo »

Good luck with it.

The expression 'this'll see me out' comes to mind when we buy/do certain things too. (Jim has a large bottle/lifetimes supply of rum for lighting Christmas puddings)

Sorry, can't help with the smell - I know it makes some people feel really ill. Don't know it they are using a different solvent now.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I don't know if there is a remedy to get rid of the smell (can't see it myself) but I remember when I was decorating my other house up for sale that I went for odourless paint (tend to be water based rather than solvent based) and it made a big difference. I don't recall it being that much more expensive either.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

There are paints advertised as odourless and they really are - paint fumes give me headaches so find these paints best to use. Bit late though if you have already stocked up June, sorry I don't know the answer to you query.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
milli
Longlasting Laner

Post by milli »

Hi June, ok..... don't laugh, but when I was little and Mum used to do the painting of skirting, doors etc, the paint seemed to be very strong then ( before odourless paints) she used to swear by putting an onion cut in half in the room {rofwl} don't know if it was just an old wives tale or not as I don't think I was really old enough to form an opinion, but just remember her doing it. Other than that I agree with Annie the odourless paints really work, I painted all our 9 doors and frames and skirting with it before Christmas and no headaches for us.
15 ex batty girls, 2 rescue jack russels and one very naughty Shih Tzu puppy who rules the household!!!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I'm going back some years now but you use to be able to buy a pot of de-smeller. You mixed it in the paint before starting.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

I was about to suggest the cut onion trick. Seems to work for us, but it might be just distraction.

Good on you getting on with jobs, remember we will want a )piicy( when it's finished!!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

I always light a few candles in a room with new paint. Seems to take the smell off .
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
perchy

Post by perchy »

Onions cut in half, the next day or so you can see a difference in in the onion, I think it absorbs the fumes, but yes odourless paint is good too )t'

http://www.pridepainters.ca/article/3-n ... fumes.html

Like the idea of vanilla extract )t'
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

perchy wrote:Onions cut in half, the next day or so you can see a difference in in the onion, I think it absorbs the fumes, but yes odourless paint is good too )t'

http://www.pridepainters.ca/article/3-n ... fumes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like the idea of vanilla extract )t'

Thanks for the link Perchy. I had it in mind that an onion came into it somewhere. Thanks for the onion idea from others too.
I haven't bought paint for the whole house and what I have bought is water based. Although not as powerful as some paints, it still advises to have the room well ventilated. My trouble is that I have got such an acute sense of smell. Good for some things, but a nuisance for others, paint being one of them.
As it's sunny, I've had all the windows and doors open, and am freezing, but although better, can still smell it. I will definately try the chopped onion in vinegar tomorrow. )t'
Thanks all of you, it is much appreciated.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.