light bulbs

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Tony H
Lively Laner

light bulbs

Post by Tony H »

Hi all iv fitted the new neon light bulbs replacing the halagen ones i used previusly, what a difference 4 neon bulbs use 4 watts of power 4 halegen bulbs use 200 watts they are a bit dimmer but are great for most situations and i am in the process of changin all my bulbs some need the higher watt of 5 watts but hopefully i should reduce the lecy bill :-D :-D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: light bulbs

Post by Richard »

Hi Tony,

That's a huge difference.

I'd be interested to know how it affects your Bill as and when.

Thanks for the info.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I too use the new energy saving bulbs, except where I need stronger light. A 60-watt energy saver is not as bright as the old style, by far.
perchy

Post by perchy »

They do take a bit of getting use to don't they, but we should allbe giving them a go as I am now struggling to get original bulbs, the lampshades may need to be re-designed, I really don't like to see bulbs poking out the top }hairout{
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Sorry, but I still like a good 250 centre bulb so that I can see to read.
maybe they are selling smaller bulbs because people have fancy lighing with lots of little lights around the place but we've never gone in for that, just the oldfashioned light in the middle of the room.
As I get older I need a good light even more.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

my biggest problem are the light fittings themselves }hairout{

When I bought my house, the living room (and back bedroom) had dimmer switches installed. I loved them, being able to turn down the lighting for settling down in the evening, or up if I needed to read something. The new bulbs can't cope with the dimmer switches and pop almost immediately {cry}

The stairs light (with the switches at the top and bottom) has a constant glow even when it is supposed to be switched off >dowhat<

The kitchen has halogen bulbs so I'd be interested in the neon ones. I bought a few extra bulbs when the light bulb issue came up (not cheap either) but the biggest downside with halogen bulbs is that when one in a set of 3 goes out and you replace it, the other 2 then pop :b(
Tony H
Lively Laner

Post by Tony H »

Hi all sorry got it mixed up its LED lights not neon :oops: they come in all types of fittings and relitivly cheap from d-bay , if your light is still on when turned off lancashire lass you could have a fauty switch, I had the same in one of the bedrooms, you can get led that shines as good as incandecant bulbs they run at 5 watt and are a bright white light i use them on the stairs, )t'
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I absolutely hate these eco friendly bulbs, especially the way they dont seem to come on immediately you push the switch. I am sure in years to come they will be blamed for accidents, especially on the stairs. Bliddy things.
Brianfromdorset
Lively Laner

Post by Brianfromdorset »

Leds are definitely the way forward. Ikea will have all their lighting as l.e.d's by 2016 as will pretty much all the stores. Its already in streetlighting and is great for kitchen lights.
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

I have just replaced some bulbs in the kitchen (reflector type) with halogen ones which are a kind of half way bulb ie 42w = old 60w and just as bright.
I had previously tried low energy ones in the kitchen but they were very dull and slow to even become dull, so I was very pleased that the halogen ones again lit up the kitchen like old fashioned bulbs.
I noticed that DASA and (I presume other supermarkets) seem to be stocking lots of different sizes of these halogen bulbs so you will be able to get ones that fit your lightshdes Perchy :-D
Smile and the whole world smiles with you
petchyV
Learner Laner

Post by petchyV »

I started using LED lights and it seems to give me lesser electricity bill. I also love the fact that it is a green product. It's a little more than the other bulbs but I think it would be a huge impact on cost reduction in terms of bill.
Sara

Post by Sara »

We swapped all the lights in the bar from Hallogene to Leds, As they are on all day and evening, its really made a difference, but its expensive to buy the bulbs here... I will have to add them to my list of things that are cheaper to buy in england :?

Starting to gradually change all the light bulbs in the house over too now )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Ours are expensive as well nearly €6 each and thats in Tresco
Tony H
Lively Laner

Post by Tony H »

Hi all after a few trials I have found the daylight ones to give the best bright light they are 6watt ones and cost £3.50 on d-bay which is about the same as the eco bulbs, my mate who is an electrician did a test for me, we put this clamp thingy around the mains wire in the house turned of all other fuses except lights, we put the halogen bulbs back in and then the led and the difference was amazing they were pulling less than 10% of the halogen ones. we have 8 fittings in the kitchen so should be good savings )t'
KentColon
Learner Laner

Post by KentColon »

Tony H wrote:Hi all after a few trials I have found the daylight ones to give the best bright light they are 6watt ones and cost £3.50 on d-bay which is about the same as the eco bulbs, my mate who is an electrician did a test for me, we put this clamp thingy around the mains wire in the house turned of all other fuses except lights, we put the halogen bulbs back in and then the led and the difference was amazing they were pulling less than 10% of the halogen ones. we have 8 fittings in the kitchen so should be good savings )t'

Thanks for sharing this useful information..I am looking to get similar lights as they are very affordable..