Where can I put a loo?

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Mrs B

Where can I put a loo?

Post by Mrs B »

I am starting to look around at houses for our next move and have decided an older house is the way to go.

Many dormer bungalows do not have an upstairs bathroom, with these sani--flo type things is it really possible to fit a loo and basin anywhere?

If not what sort of restriction are there?

Also does anyone know anything about solar panels to provide electricity and hot water? When we looked into it for our current home it was around £20,000 so not cost effective.

Thanks in advance DIY Laners
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Where can I put a loo?

Post by Annie »

Don't know about the loo question, personally I wouldn't want a loo in too cramped a space .
A lady I speak to most days has had solar panels fitted and seems pleased, the 1st day they were installed she kept checking the dials and watched them going backwards, thought it quite funny.
I would think to go to the expense ,you would have to be pretty certain of staying put in the house for a good few years, not sure if they are a selling point as such, folk might still be a bit sceptical so not sure if it would add much value to the house if you planned a move after a couple of years. Seems a good idea but maybe time has still yet to tell.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes Mrs B - I believe they can go anywhere. My daughter used to have one, but they are not without their restrictions. She had to buy flimsy recycled loo paper, and you have to be careful not to put anything else down it.

I still think they are a great idea though.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks to both of you, there should be plenty of room and maybe it will not be impossible to get a "normal" loo fitted just trying to think out al our options rather than ruling a house out just because it only only has one bathroom.

Annie it would be for the next house that the solar panels are for, just realised one of my customers has the so I will ask him as he will know to the penny how much money he has spent and saved (yup he is one of those).
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Mrs B , I realise its for a potential property but just trying to make the point that the investment would need to be in a long term home to reap benefit so you would need to be pretty sure that the next move would be to a home for the next 20 years or so.x
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Regards the Macerator toilet Mrs B, I looked into the possibility of installing one a few years ago when Mrs Happybob decided we "needed" an ensuite toilet and shower room. They can basically go anywhere but I was put off mearly by the fact that it would be a messy job if they were to go wrong, they are also reported to be fairly noisy.

In the end I went for the good old fashioned tried and tested real loo, although the extra work involved installing and connecting up new drain to the existing drain was quite labour intensive as the new fall pipe was to the front of the house and the main drain was around the back of the house, I dont think you can beat 100mm drains with proper rodding points should the worse ever happen.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Mrs B I had a saniflow in our ensuite bathroom, it worked well enough, but it was noisy and so i didnt want to flush it during the night. That was around 20 years go, maybe they are quieter now
[center][/center]Davina
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks Bob and Davina very helpful. )t'

ETA I am so surprised that Al has not popped in with a comment about the best place for a loo is under a bum
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Mrs B one of my friend's at work had solar panels fitted last year, I've no idea how much they cost but he was told it would be 7 years before he recoup what he spent on them. He's delighted with them )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks Ellie
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

We looked into solar panel, but were out off as our house in shade most of the winter, but if we had a sunny house i think we could have gone for it.

As others had said the saniflow have problems, could a main one be installed?
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

My parents have a relatively new saniflow toilet - it's noisy, and they've had no end of problems with it. I know a few people who have had solar panels fitted, and they all seem to be happy with the results.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Like Bob, I personally would go for a conventional loo, as for the solar panels just remember to make sure the roof is sound before you fit them! >dowhat< . You don't want to go to a lot of expense fitting panels, only to have them being removed and refitted to put the roof right!! }hairout{.

Better still, buy a house that already has them fitted )t' ..
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Definitely agree with SB re getting the roof checked before putting solar panels on. The number of roofs we have been out to since they have fitted them and there is absolutely nothing we can do till the SP's are removed which is even more expense for the householder.

As for the saniloo, we were thinking of that, but have decided to go the 'real' loo way after reading up on it and all the probs.

Happy house hunting.