My son is having a hernia op

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

My son is having a hernia op

Post by Mercedes »

I know my son is all grown up now but we never stop worrying about them do we. He was diagnosed with a hernia a little while ago and today he got a letter through saying he's having surgery on 23rd of January. He's never been in hospital before, in fact he's never had a blood test or had his BP checked and actively refuses to let anyone check his BP. I offered to go with him when he has it done but he said "I'm not a girl" {rofwl}
Lyn

Re: My son is having a hernia op

Post by Benny&Co »

Wishing your son a good recovery from his procedure, Lyn {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

He's obviously fit & healthy if he's stayed away from hospitals so effectively until now. I hope it all goes well for him.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I've always counted myself very lucky in that he has always been in good health both mentally and physically. I know I'm biased but I couldn't want for a better son, he is happy, handsome, intelligent, I could go on but I won't {rofwl}
Lyn

Post by Benny&Co »

Mercedes wrote:I've always counted myself very lucky in that he has always been in good health both mentally and physically. I know I'm biased but I couldn't want for a better son, he is happy, handsome, intelligent, I could go on but I won't {rofwl}

Awww Lyn {hug} {hug}

Interesting how he's adamant about not having his BP done..... they'll do it whilst he's having his op, that's for sure )t' {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Benny&Co wrote:

Interesting how he's adamant about not having his BP done..... they'll do it whilst he's having his op, that's for sure )t' {hug}

His dad, my ex husband, is the same. He passes out if he has blood taken. It's quite funny really as he has a daughter who is a para medic, yet he is a complete med phobic himself.

I've got one of those home BP monitors and I have been trying to get my son to let me take his BP to get him used to it, but he just refuses. But yes you are right they will definitely do it whilst he is in hospital. Men >shrug<
Lyn

Post by Benny&Co »

{rofwl} funny hey! >shrug<

I just started another thread about BP, I got one of those home measuring ones myself yesterday - need to get batteries for it though as thought it'd be plug operated! .ang.
Bev x

wendy

Post by wendy »

Thats strange as a good friend has a hernia op on the 24th.
I am sure all will go well for him.
I have a had high BP since I was 35. I have an Omron machine. Good to keep an eye on it.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

wendy wrote:Thats strange as a good friend has a hernia op on the 24th.
I have a had high BP since I was 35. I have an Omron machine. Good to keep an eye on it.

Where are they having theirs done Wendy? My son James is going to the Spire in Bushey as thankfully he gets private medical cover through work. If he didn't I hate to think how long he could be waiting to have it done :?
Lyn

Post by wendy »

I beleive he is as well, Lynn
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

My friend had a double hernia op last spring. It went really well although he was very sore for a few days. In fact, it went so well that despite being signed off work and against doctors advice, he went back and over-did it. Ended up having to have it done again and much worse the second time.

He was a silly boy and learnt his lesson - the second op he followed doctors orders to the letter and recovered fully.

So tell your son listen to the doctors, don't over-do it and rest lots and he'll be up and running in no time )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

wendy wrote:Thats strange as a good friend has a hernia op on the 24th.

Just looking and my new BP machine is an Omron too Wendy )t'
Bev x

Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I think a lot of Boot's own brand ones are made by Omron too. We have a fairly old one and I did phone Omron to ask about having it recalibrated but it was cheaper to buy a new one. Funny thing was though that the new one we bought had readings that were so low that it was impossible for it to be right so we took it back to Boots, got a refund and carried on using the old one >coc<
Lyn

Post by Mercedes »

Well today is the day my son is having his hernia op. He phoned me at 9am to say he is feeling fine about it and I saw him last night and gave him a huge bar of Cadbury's milk chocolate as it's his favourite. Think I will bake one of his favourite chocolate cakes for him too.
Lyn

Post by Benny&Co »

Aww bless him. Sending lots of healing thoughts to your son and I'm sure he'll enjoy his chocolate and cake later on today, Lyn {hug} {hug}
Bev x