living past a hundred years old?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
saint-spoon

living past a hundred years old?

Post by saint-spoon »

On the news this morning, before I went to work, there was an article about how many of the generation being born today would likely reach their hundredth birthdays. Because it’s a human interest story they reinforced it by having a new born baby girl and a centagenarian Gentleman who is one of the few from his generation to reach that ripe old age. Anyway the story was about how many more of the new generation would live to be that old and I did wonder if this was true or not. If you take the elderly gentleman he grew up in the post WW1 era, lived through WW2 and endured the shortages synonymous with both, he would also have cycled/walked to work or to the shops and for most of his life wouldn’t have known what a burger or kebab was. The baby girl by comparison will grow up in a world with much better medical understanding but will have video games, junk food, television, lifts to school of a morning, snacks of crisps and chocolate etc. I know that this is a generalisation but are the babies of today really more likely to live to over a hundred given the modern lifestyle?
Bah Humbug
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Re: living past a hundred years old?

Post by Sunny B »

Good point. I'm sure I've heard the argument that today's children, many of whom are already obese, will not live as long as their parents.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Its a very valid point SS, because again if the papers are to be believed over 50% of the country is going to be morbidly obese in less then ten years so less likely to live till 100. But then you could go deeper into the subject and the 100 years thing is more likely, if people have a good lifestye, as depression and other mental illnesses, stress is going to increase year upon year, while medically we have the potential to live 100 years in theory, in practise will this happen? I suspect more of the wealthier more stable will reach the 100 milestone but there will be more and more people living under strained conditions either mentally, medically or financially who will tip the balance back to the pre 100 years milestone.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
wendy

Post by wendy »

It is very valid. Because we keep getting told that todays children are likely to die before their parents.
To be honest when you see the behaviour with drink and the casual s.ex. It isn't a surprising fact.
I would assume some, that have had stuff in moderation and been active will.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Our little rural area has a lot of octo, nono and centagenarians, and it's put down also to the pace of life, hills and strong sense of community. And yet people are busily trying to introduce 'progress'. I think many of these positive lifestyle benefits will disappear too.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

In think it's in the medication science.

Although as you say, kids today are growing up in a rather relaxed, techy driven bad diet fashion, but when things do go wrong with them, there's usually some new wonder pill every few years which will put it right.

If the medication wasn't progressing at the same speed if not quicker, half the youngsters today would probably not see 50 !

You can see that maybe four generations down the line they'll be saying 'people used to die of a thing called cancer 200 years ago'.

Bob - agreed. )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Or will they be saying "there used to be wonder dr-ugs called antibiotics, but they were overused and the bugs adapted"
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire