My son is having a hernia op

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Maggie1

Re: My son is having a hernia op

Post by Maggie1 »

Mercedes wrote:

Where are they having theirs done Wendy? My son James is going to the Spire in Bushey as thankfully he gets private medical cover through work. If he didn't I hate to think how long he could be waiting to have it done :?[/quote]

I'm so glad your son is having his op. Sadly my son is still waiting to have his gall bladder removed. Its a year hes been waiting. He was supposed to be seeing his surgeon on the 28th Jan but had a letter yesterday to say its been cancelled for the 4th time to the 3rd Feb. I wish your son well.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Maggie1 wrote:
I'm so glad your son is having his op. Sadly my son is still waiting to have his gall bladder removed. Its a year hes been waiting. He was supposed to be seeing his surgeon on the 28th Jan but had a letter yesterday to say its been cancelled for the 4th time to the 3rd Feb. I wish your son well.

Thanks Maggie. That sucks about your son, how can they possibly let someone wait a year and then cancel >coc<

I am always amazed at how different private health care is compared to the NHS. I know the NHS is underfunded and that they do the best they can on the budget they have, but all the same no one should have to wait such a long time.
Lyn

Post by Mercedes »

Well my son had his surgery on Wednesday and came home the same day, despite the nurses recommending he stay in overnight.

My DIL went to pick him up and he was just sitting in a chair in his dressing gown because he was in too much pain to get dressed. He was on the 1st floor of the hospital so had to walk some way to get to the car. I know they have a lift, but I think it was still a fair lot of walking. The nurse at the nurse's station offered to get him a wheelchair, but he said he was okay.

We were at his house looking after our granddaughter and when he came in, gosh he was as white as a sheet and looked to be in agony. It took 2 of us to get him onto the sofa bed. He couldn't get up the stairs and they have no downstairs bathroom.

He wasn't given any pain meds to bring home and DIL had to get in touch with their GP to get something for him.

Last night I phoned him to ask how he was and he was complaining of pain in his belly button. I don't know what possessed him but he had put a hot wet flannel on there to ease the pain {warn} Now I would have thought you should keep wounds dry and as sterile as possible, I hate to think what germs that flannel had on it.

I give up trying to give advice :?
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Most hernia op patients in our hospital stay in at least one night but it's up to the individual I guess. They're always discharged with analgesia to take home, hope his pain improves quickly, at least it's all over now. {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
wendy

Post by wendy »

Good he is home and hopefully feeling better today.
Ron had his yesterday and although they couldn't do keyhole and did it conventionally. He was at home. I was surprised they sent him home. But I think he may have insisted as he lives on his own and has a dog.
We have been to funeral all morning so yet to ring and see how how he is.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Lyn, that's not good your son was discharged with no pain relief {warn}

I do hope he's feeling more comfortable today.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I think he's slowly feeling better thanks. I always thought keyhole surgery was supposed to give a quicker recovery. I had my appendix out a few years ago with open surgery and the only pain relief I had was paracetemol and I only took it for a couple of days.

Wendy hope your friend is recovering well. That can't be easy going home the same day and having a dog to look after :?
Lyn