Polytunnel

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Polytunnel

Post by HensAloud »

I'm half thinking about getting a polytunnel, what do you grow in there that you can't grow outside ? Is it an invaluable part of your garden, or can I live without one ? Thankyou.
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Polytunnel

Post by billnorfolk »

Hi Angela

I use mine to grow the same as outside ,but earlyr and later in the season,we were still enjoying carrots and redbeet up to christmas.Dont know if you have a greenhouse ,if not can grow tomatoes ,start seeds off ,cucumbers ,melons lots of things that may strugle outside in a cool summer.Apart from the things mentioned i grew french beans in mine last summer,something i struggle to grow outside in cool summers ,but allways gives a bumper crop in the pollytunnel.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fully-Galvani ... 19cb41ad29

Look at this link above is same as i have,easy to erect and cheap as chips,its my second one being a galvanised frame ,first one wasnt and started to rust .The cover is coming into its 4th year and still have new cover in shed .
Wouldnt be without mine.
With my french beans in.

Stood out all winter ,this year.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Thankyou Bill,
I do have a greenhouse but just grow the traditional toms in that, I think I should put that to more use. Yours looks great, I'm starting to think I'm going to get one, thanks for the link too. )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Last year I was given a poly tunnel (it was in a bad state of repair so only lasted a year) but it educated me enough that I,m going to buy another this year. Like Bill says the crops do seem to do very well in them. I would say if you have the space the funds and the plants buy one you wont regret it.

Bill I notice you state in your reply to Angela that you now have a galvanised frame tunnel is there much diffrence in the quality ie thickness of the tubing etc compared to the powder coated frame? please. As I,m contemplating the better quality one.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Morning Bob

For the little extra you pay Bob better off with the galvanised,definately thicker walled tube and shouldnt rust like the powder coated one will.Look in the autum on ebay as the covers are usually cheap around £40 for mine so can get a spare to keep.

I use my old powder coated frame in the garden cut down with enviromesh over.The link i put in Angelas is for the galvanised not to pricey .

HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Cheers Bill, I have seen the Galved ones on line, I was looking for the thoughts of some one whos owned one for a year or so before I press the return button on my comp. Also a bonus that you can buy the covers as a spare. Thanks again Bill for the info, not long now for the season to be in full swing )t' :-D
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Cant wait Bob,good luck for the coming season,hope the weather is kind to us )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:Thankyou Bill,
I do have a greenhouse but just grow the traditional toms in that, I think I should put that to more use. Yours looks great, I'm starting to think I'm going to get one, thanks for the link too. )t'

You are more than welcome )t'

Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

HappyBob wrote:Cheers Bill, I have seen the Galved ones on line, I was looking for the thoughts of some one whos owned one for a year or so before I press the return button on my comp. Also a bonus that you can buy the covers as a spare. Thanks again Bill for the info, not long now for the season to be in full swing )t' :-D

We've had ours over 3 years and its galvanised
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Maggie1 wrote:
HappyBob wrote:Cheers Bill, I have seen the Galved ones on line, I was looking for the thoughts of some one whos owned one for a year or so before I press the return button on my comp. Also a bonus that you can buy the covers as a spare. Thanks again Bill for the info, not long now for the season to be in full swing )t' :-D

We've had ours over 3 years and its galvanised

Thats very reasuring, thanks Maggie.
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

I too am thinking of investing in a polytunnel, though I want one for my chilis and peppers... would a poly' be enough for the job on my plot or should I stick to growing them in my greenhouse at home?
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

polys are fine for almost everything. I've even got a peach tree in mine
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hi knikitta

Maggie has hit the nail on the head )t' Yes you can grow most anything you can grow in your greenhouse,the exception being the cooler parts of the UK as night time temps are held better in a good greenhouse,think where you are though should be fine. )t'

Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

I am very central as I am West Midlands (Warwickshire) so I think I am okay for night temps... my only worry is that my plot is right next to open fields and apparently it gets very windy where I am sited.

Though if I get a cheap enough (scouring the freebie sites) polytunnel I will be happy! )t'
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

We get terrific winds as we get wind straight off the Atlantic. Sometimes its sounds like out of a horror film.
When you assemble your polytunnel dig a deep trench all around the outside of the framework. When the plastic is put on leave enough plastic to go into the trench and then after finishing covering the tunnel fill the trenches in so the plastic is completely buried.
If you do that it should survive any wind