green grannies

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
jo68
Legendary Laner

green grannies

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

did anyone see bbc breakfast news today
there is a report that they are getting grannies to teach children how to reuse old and broken clothes and left over food and lots of other money saving tips
i think its a very good idea :) :) :) the children seemed to really enjoy it
)t'

what do you think

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

GM Jo

Didnt see it myself, but sounds a great idea!

They grew up in times,when they had to do it no choice!

So many things are wasted today! Good on em!!

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

gm stace (f+ (f+ (f+

i think they may show it again before the end of the program )t'

jo x
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I saw it - I'd love to have the time to do a lot of the things they suggested.

There are loads of skills we are loosing because modern life is full of 'stuff to do', most of which is of very little real value :?

Hubby is always on at me to darn socks instead of throwing them away. I have tried to explain that darning is a way to repair thick, hand knitted socks and the thin one from Sasda are made to wear out and be thrown away )ot: Yes, I'm aware of the can of worms that is )ot: )w(
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've just been picking my green Grannies.

OH planted a Granny Smith tree, but they don't really ripen like the imported ones. I can use them for pies though, after the Bramleys have been given away or rotted.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I saw it and was puzzled by 'Grannie' bread pudding. I love bread pudding made like I was taght by my Gran and Grandad. You gathered up all the stale bits of bread over the week, put this in the washing up bowl and cover with water. When well soaked squeeze the water out and put bread, all squished up, in a large mixing bowl. Add lots of mix spice and dried fruit. If it's a bit on the wet side add some flour, add an egg if you could afford it. Put the mixture in the Sunday roasting tin and sprinkle with sugar. My Grandad would orange peel on the top if we had an orange. Bake on a middle heat for ages. This is really scrummy, soft on the inside but the best bits are the chewy, crunchy bits round the edge, much better than the stuff they sell in the bakers. I wonder what the Granny on the telly was making?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I didn't see it but wonder if it was bread anc butter pud. It's like an egg custard, with bread (and butter) and sultanas in. And sugar sprinkled on top.
Dad used to make it. Yum. Not as stodgy as bread pud.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I love B&B pudding, but am the only one in the family so don't make it too often as I have to eat it all myself (shame). They sell it in supermarkets but I could make about 4 for the price, and homemade is much nicer.

Not too keen on bread pudding, its a bit too stodgy, and no way would anyone here eat it especially knowing how and what its made from (such a fussy lot)
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

On the tv a little boy had bits of bread and I thought b&b pdding was made with slices. These bits were in a bowl and they then added milk?
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Bread and butter pudding is made with sliced (white) bread about 4 or 5 slices, I usually cut off the crusts. Spread with butter, then cut into triangles to fit into a dish, layer of bread, layer dried fruit, big sprinkle of sugar, layer of bread and so on till all used up. Then half pint milk and an egg whisked together and poured on top, I usually sprinkle some more sugar on too. If you sprinkle dried fruit on it burns and is yucky. Bake around gas 5 for about 30 to 40 mins till browned a bit and just about set. Its yummy, especially that day when the top is stil crispy )c+ )t'
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

I saw it, and think it was her version of bread pudding, as the bread was not buttered but soaked in milk.

I use half milk-half water as my gran taught me, and add veggie suet too. I dust it with caster sugar when it comes out of the oven, and like it best just warm, yum!

It`s lovely made with stale hot x buns, or fruited bread too.

Think I feel a baking session coming on tomorrow, bread pudding is a favourite in the staff room this time of year, we need the stodge!

We spent the week in WWII mode at work recently. I had the lads polishing brasses with brasso, cleaning the carpet with a "ewbank", darning socks, mending clothes and ironing with an ordinary flat iron. They could only have tea (made with real leaves and a strainer, in a pot!!), water or milk to drink. They cooked with powdered egg using orignial recipes, and horror, using only weekly rations! The lads did really well, but "dig for victory" was too much like hard work for them.

They already think I`m a bit mad cos I save the butter wrappers to grease cake tins! Just like gran did.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Errrgh I dislike bread and butter pudding. But love Bread pudding.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Good on yer Wendy! I always thought bread and butter pudding was for posh people.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Does that mean I am posh :shock: I'll have to start drinking my tea with my little finger sticking out )t'

(Hubby calls it peasant food, stale bread - yuck :-D )
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

my nan made it by soaking it in milk )t'

i love it :)

jo x