Passion Flower

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Mrs B

Passion Flower

Post by Mrs B »

I have a magnificent passion flower that I planted a few years ago, it is just the bog standard variety but it never fails to look stunning.

Is it possible to get cuttings from it? A neighbour has tried and failed to grow a cutting on on a few occasions and I would like to get cuttings to grow in other areas of the garden.

See I do try not to spend money sometimes. .ang.
redoak
Legendary Laner

Re: Passion Flower

Post by redoak »

Does it not throw up suckers from the roots? the ones I've seen produce loads of them.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have never been able to take cuttings. But I have had a number grow elsewhere in the garden. Obviously from seeds. I just dig them up and plant where I want them.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

The one at our old house used to produce suckers, as Marc says. I had about a fifty% success rate with growing them on (and I think the chickens had as much to do with the 50% failure rate as anything else!)
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

The easiest way is to collect a fruit when its gone orange. My Sister did it and got 50 plants out of it and gave it to the church for their fete which they sold at a £1 each. Quite a good yield from one pod. They grow quite quick as well.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Can you do a 'layer'? Bend a bit down and bury part of the stem in a flower put, scratch the bark to encourage rooting but leave it attached to the plant at first.
Not sure how PFs grow, but it works if the plants are the right shape. If the branches won't bend down try an air-layer. Nick the stem and pack with damp moss until you see roots. Haven't tried that, just seen in a book.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I shall have a look for suckers and if not I shall try Mo's bury a bit in the soil method.

Unfortunately this one doesn't set seeds or produce fruit.

I could just buy another one but would like to get a baby from this one if possible as it is a dear friend *I really need to get out more*